Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chassis Cracks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    i had a wb statesamn once that was cracked from one side all the way across the crossmember to the other side..i had a customer recently who had his upper control arm leave the chassis with the chassis still attached...
    so when you guys are looking for chassis cracks clean up everywhere forward of the where the body mounts and look everywhere..
    my mates HZ ute had the control arm break right off. It was his daily driver work ute. It had been welded up a few times. Wrote the old girl off.

--- Updated ---

I dont agree. They all crack just the same. Its a weak design. Expecting a control arm bush to absorb all the rearward movement of the complete steering system is what causes the cracks. The RTS bars can't stop the control arms from flexing backwards. Don't let the bushes get flogged out and don't hammer them along rough roads is the secret. My WB has been babied all its life, no cracks. My brothers WB was a shearers car from around Peak hill so lots of dirt roads, has had a cracked chassis. The HZ chassis in the link I posted was driven around Brewarrina for about 12 months and the chassis just cracked to pieces.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I think if you add more/thicker shims it will pull the upper control arm inward toward the motor making scrubbed inside steer tyres worse, not better.
    Yeah, that makes more sense :errf:

It's a rockin'
    A good way to find cracks is to clean the chassis and spray some white etch primer on the areas they usually crack . I thought mine was good until i etch primed it and then i found a very small crack that probably would have turned into a bigger one

Quote Originally Posted by stickthis View Post
    ive seen the top wishbone mount thats welded to the chassis crack too. Something else to check.
    Yep. My HZ did that once. Started with a faint clunk as you turn right and unfortunately I didn't make it the 30km home.

Thread Information