Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandman shell wanted

Learner Driver

Sandman shell wanted

hey there all! Im looking for a sandman shell as a project car. let me know what youve got!
    cheers lisa

Hey Lisaloo welcome!

Are you after a panelvan or ute?
    HQ, HJ, HX or HZ if you're not fussy you could even go WB.

Learner Driver
    hey!

Definitely a panel van! not to fussy on the model because i havnt found anything yet! dont care about the condition of the shell because i will building it from scratch anyway so something cheap and sorta nasty would work fine! (not tooo nasty (; )

Sandman Guru
    Do yourself a BIG favour and buy a good shell. A rusty one is definitely not what you want. It might cost $2000-$3000 more to get a good shell but a rough one can cost up to $10,000 and huge amounts of hours more to fix. And rust will come back.

Banned
    When you say shell I assume you don't want chassis as well? Has to be Sandman or can it be anything?

Im assuming a rolling shell here. (Minus motor and box??) I have just bought a WB for $1300. Check out the picks to see the nick its in. I agree with HK here, its far better to buy a good shell than a rusty one. You can always take a WB and put a HZ front on if thats what you want. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Do yourself a BIG favour and buy a good shell. A rusty one is definitely not what you want. It might cost $2000-$3000 more to get a good shell but a rough one can cost up to $10,000 and huge amounts of hours more to fix. And rust will come back.
    + eleventy billion. Don't settle on a shell either. Just buy a complete car that has most of the good expensive bits on it. If you have to stuff around finding every little piece, bracket, bolt and thingamyjig and buying them individually then you'll end up spending a fortune. Get something like Rokvan's Tuxedo Black HJ for $7k, do a bit of a tidy up and you'll have a nice van at a good price. If you buy a basketcase you'll either end up with a very expensive nice van, or an ebay listing that nets you a third of what you spent.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    + eleventy billion. Don't settle on a shell either. Just buy a complete car that has most of the good expensive bits on it. If you have to stuff around finding every little piece, bracket, bolt and thingamyjig and buying them individually then you'll end up spending a fortune. Get something like Rokvan's Tuxedo Black HJ for $7k, do a bit of a tidy up and you'll have a nice van at a good price. If you buy a basketcase you'll either end up with a very expensive nice van, or an ebay listing that nets you a third of what you spent.
    + eleventy billion and one.

I went to tamworth from vic to pick up my sandman which spent its life inland and had not one speck of rust. Paid 5k for it 5 years ago and the entire sanding/repairing/2 pac paintjob cost me 3 grand! mates rates admittedly, but well worth having a good shell.

Learner Driver
    Hey all!

OK, So im new to all this forum stuff, if you didnt guess but I just figured youd be the guys to talk to about finding a sandman! So what I ment by shell is, complete car but pretty much just the "shell" left. Dont get all technical on me lol coz yeah i dont want to have to get every nut and bolt etc. I dont mind about motor etc. And i dont want it to be to rusty! hence 'not tooo nasty' a lil rust and surface rust I dont mind! Im a spray painter/ powder coater, so its what I do :D definitely dont want to pay $7k. I want to do more than tint the windows and give it a paint job! Whatever i get will b stripped to its nekid nothingnes
    Thanks for the welcome rico :D

Agree with Hainzy, Play and Byron, if we knew the rust which was under the yellow vans dodgy paint job she would probably be in someones else shed...the contrast with the Red van we are now restoring, is amazing, hardly any prep work, 1/4 of the cost...you live and learn...

to the forums
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Thread Information