Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Goat Van

I love this van!

It's a rockin'
    Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    I love this van!
    Me too,came in very handy at gawler swap meet,

I am having exactly no joy with all things mechanical of late.

Completely off topic, but this was my bike about half way though my group ride this morning.

10724229_854739504545009_656599521_n.jpg

Now, I'm getting ok with the old henrob torch, but I think that frame is done. Now I have to go back to my hardtail frame, oh the horror!

Back vaguelly on topic, I readjustabled my rockers today, as I'd never done it before and felt I hadn't got it quite right last time. Turns out I hadn't and shes now running a charm. (Well, once the dizzy dried out after I really wasn't paying enough attention with the pressurewasher at the local car wash)

One of my favorite things about living down near the beach in Adelaide is my shakedown runs consist of a tour through Port Adelaide (see warehouse photos last week) then over the port river down along the beachfront. On a warm summers day like today it really is the dream. Even better when you're crossing Birkenhead bridge and see a guy flying with a jetpack.

10724613_373201276179217_1776003121_n.jpg

Cheers,
    Goat

Just got back from a dawn surf mission (was loving the bed in the back when I rocked up to the waves 30 mins before the sun)

Anyway, about half way back she started with the rocker noise again!

Anyone have any ideas on why one of the rockers on my 186 head keeps getting loose? I've probably done 200kms on it before it started with the noise.

I think it's a sign that I should hurry up with putting the motor back together and dropping in the 308.

Cheers,
    Goat

Cruiser
    I think they used to pull the rocker studs out old stock car racers used to drill and fit grub screws to hold them In maybe one is slowly coming out , are your adjusting nuts all got same threads out of the nut? This could show a problem if they are different , best idea is get that 308 in!

Get the 308 in yes, but in the mean time try a helicoil. I know it's not the best thing but it should fix that problem.

Those who are on facebook/instagram will know how this story ends. But for those of you who aren't, here is an update.

So I read everyones options on here with what to do with the 6, and there were so good ones there. I even stared at the yella terra head that was sitting on a shelf, so I sold that before I gave into temptation.
    In the end, there was only one solution I was happy with;

IMG_2747.JPG

About 18 months ago, Mook and I came across quite the deal. HQ ute for $1500. Now the body of the old girl was more than a little shabby, but she was packed full of fruit.

So since that day, the mild 308, T400, Tailshaft and Pacemakers had sat in the corner of the shed. I'd thought they'd been put aside for the real sandman project. However in a moment of inspiration I realized Van Nats at Bathurst was upon us and a 308 in a dark corner of the shed covered in oil, set aside for the "I'll get there one day" project would give me far less joy than a replica sandman fitted with 5 liters of fun.

Some help from others, a new gasket kit and some swearing at a rope main seal and here we are. It at least looks good, for a motor that was black with oil and sitting alongside the car when we bought it.

IMG_2646.JPG

A whole lot of back and forth with an engine crane and she was in. Don't get me started on the clearance on pacemakers, but they do breath nicely. Also pictured is my helpful tip for those playing along at home. One, uncut, factory engine loom. I might me an electrical engineer, but even for me dealing with someone else's mess of crips, terminal strips and missing wires is no fun. Total wiring time with factory loom, about 15 minutes, and that's just because I was trying to be neat.

IMG_3310.JPG

After that, you can finally take your baby back out on the road for a well deserved bath. They really do look cute all sudsy in the sunshine.

IMG_3358.JPG

Next time I have a few minutes, I'll fill you in on our drive to Bathurust the long way.

Goat

every windowless van deserves a v8
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post

And I love your van Goat, it's how I hope mine will look once it's painted. Nice job.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information