Thread: A Van for Vinnie

Learner Driver

A Van for Vinnie

Hi all,
    i have a mate, Vin, who has Cerebral Palsy.
    He is the IT guru at my work, and has been watching over my shoulder over the past few months as i comb the net for a Prem. Vin loves the old machines. Holdens and Vals.
    Recently he was pondering whether he could buy one, park it out front of his flat, and pay guys to take him for a spin on weekends. Why does he need this?
    Vin is in a wheelchair and has been since he was a little boy. He cant do the basic things we take for granted.
    So, i thought about floating the idea here, to see if there are ppl out there with a big enough heart to get Vin his car. Surviving on a disability support pension when u have to pay someone to help you do EVERYTHING leaves little money for play.
    To fit his wheelchair, we need a panel van.
    The plan is to make sure the roof in he back can take his chair height wise, as Vinnie would be up front with the driver. i have yet to measure the height of his chair but i think it will be ok, i may have to sort something out for it to fit.
    Pref a later model as this would be safer than K/T/G.
    i am going to do ther leg work getting it RW and regoed etc, also help w modifying bits to fit chair in the back, ie a ramp. maybe have to modify passenger seat too.
    We are based in Geelong, Vin doesnt go too far, this surprise (if i can get it going) would help to give him a bit more freedom than his physical allows currently.
    So, I am looking for ideas/donations/help/willing drivers (vin said he would pay ppl but im hoping we can line up a raft of heads to cruise with him) for Vinnie.
    Vin is a great guy, a day out on a cruise w him would be fun. Ppl need to be fit and able to help him getting in and out of his pride and joy, also prepared to help him eat. Vin is fine to go to the loo by himself, a small blessing for him as it would be a royal pain in the arse to have to have someone help you.
    Vin is also a man of little concern, i dont think he would want a sandman! Although of course he would love it, he is not fussy. A decent safe and ok looking PV would suit him down to the ground.
    Thanks
    Tim . 0418528293. feel free to call me if u want
    BTW, we are in Vic.

sounds like a great cause Tim. I sold a VL Calais Turbo Wagon to a bloke who was in the same boat... was never going to drive the car. Quite a loose concept.

Best of luck
    BQZ

Good on ya Tim!! You sound like a good mate.
    A bit far for me. But I'll keep an eye out for something up my end of the state.
    Good luck
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Thread Information