Thread: HJ Sandman stripe fitment question

Cruiser

HJ Sandman stripe fitment question

The front guard/door stripes are easy enough to work out but which way do the rear 1/4 panel stripes go?

They have, for want of a better description, a bluntish kinda end and a long tapered end.

Check the promo images in the brochures page;
    http://mysandman.com.au/brochures.html

GTS.
    I had the same dilemma the day I went to put on my stripes. We had a look at the HQ HJ promo brochures and even the Trax model sandman version but still wernt sure what looked best. In the end I think we went with the longer tapered end to the front and the stumpier end to the rear. This put the thickest part of the stripe over the wheel arch. No-one has ever told us we have them on backward (at least they are not upside-down)
    Of all the pictures I looked at, there were variations of all themes. Even on the brochures it was abit of a debate (depending on what angle you viewed the stripes from)
    Putting the stripes down is definately a two person job. We marked a dotted line to lay the bottom edge of the sticker along rather than try to eye in the centre of the swale line. The reflections in the duco made getting a straight edge without measurement impossible. .... And make good use of a soft rubber paddle or squegie(?) to iron out the bubbles as you go. Lay it down lightly first and then smooth it out once the bubbles are gone. I dont think removal and re-aplication is an option. Twas a nerve wracking time, especially when the wind picked up.... and we were outside.

Cruiser
    Thanks Blocker but they don't have the detail I need. I'd like a pic from the side...square on.....not the pics that show an angle view because they just dont give the defintion required.

--- Updated ---

Thanks Q Set...I've come to the same conclusion. After thinking about it for a while in my pondering chair I figured that the thin taper end had to go to the front otherwise the strip wouldn't go under the fuel cap. I reckon if it went the other way it would pass over the bottom half of the cap and I haven't seen that in any of the pics I've looked at. I'm going to mock it up in the morning and check my/our theory. As far as actually fitting them goes I'm getting my "experienced" sign guy to do them.

I think I have a copy of the instructuons that came with them for a HQ.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Cruiser
    I have a copy of the originals (I think) but they don't say anything about which way around the stripes go....just how far off the body line etc.
    If yours are different I'd like to see them.

new old stock stripes had the writing on the back of each piece to say where it went...

Quote Originally Posted by GTS View Post
    As far as actually fitting them goes I'm getting my "experienced" sign guy to do them.
    that is exactly what we did, and will do for red van, and red ute....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Cruiser
    I bought them off Stick This and they don't have that info on them

Thread Information