Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Water Pumps

New Water Pumps

I went to the local auto supply asking for a 253 water pump.

The pump neck is shorter than the one I had so I'm worried it is the wrong one. My build will have power steer and a/c should I be looking for a different type of pump?

Sandman Guru
    All early pumps are the same. All later (like mid VB onwards) are different and longer. They all fit each other, you just use a different pulley. The best ones are the later type (longer) with the extra plate at the back and the cast iron pulley.
    Last edited by HK1837; 22-09-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: lobger changed to longer.

P Plater
    WP808 (92009639) is the early pump with a height from base to pulley of 94mm
    wp1000 (92014563) is the late pump with a height from base to pulley of 110mm

change over point is mid vh from memory

Thanks - the one I bought was the 'early' model with the shorter neck. Only $50 so no biggie if I have to change it.

Sandman Guru
    I thought changeover was earlier than that, somewhere during the last year or so of red motors. Always assumed it was at VB release. Possibly was done at blue motor release in 1978 Bedford trucks.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    Thanks - the one I bought was the 'early' model with the shorter neck. Only $50 so no biggie if I have to change it.
    Later ones with longer bearing are twice the price, but worth if. If the one you have has a pressed metal fan-type impeller take it back. Get the one with a cast barrel type impeller.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I thought changeover was earlier than that, somewhere during the last year or so of red motors. Always assumed it was at VB release. Possibly was done at blue motor release in 1978 Bedford trucks.[COLOR="Silver"]
    just double checked because i wasnt positive either, the VB-VK parts catalogue lists vh as the change over point

Sandman Guru
    That cannot be right as from memory all WB from release had the pump with the bigger bearing.

P Plater

if the issue date on this form is correct its early 84? so cars probably had them a few months before???

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...gn/pdf/28A.pdf

just my research, may still be wrong but who knows

Sandman Guru
    HZ shows a similar thing exept for ADR27A. So not sure how it all works. I'll see if I can nut it out.

P Plater
    In Commodores, the change was during the VC in 1980 - both the 6 & V8 were upgraded with the bigger bearings.
    Around the same time the power steering pumps went metric too.

I had a March '80 VC 253 with the short pump & imperial p/s pump, and an August '80 308 SL/E with the long one & metric p/s pump.
    This was back in the early 90s, when you could easily source both types of pump, and both cars were likely to still have their original water pumps - hence I doubt they would have been changed, as there's too much else to change over at the same time, so you'd buy the right pump rather than stuff around.

I initially thought it was an A/C or no A/C difference, as the 253 had no air, but then found many others that debunked that idea.
    I'm not sure when in 1980 the WB was released, but that's another thought that I had for a while. I spent ages looking through parts manuals to try & find the changeover point, but it wasn't real clear - just listing long & short types for the pumps & fan spacers.

Going off my engine numbers list, which those 2 cars are on, it's somewhere between VR114xxx and VT148xxx.
    Last edited by commodorenut; 23-09-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Updated the engine numbers from my files.

Thread Information