Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers & passenger door glass, silly question??

Drivers & passenger door glass, silly question??

Probably a very silly question and I have tried to find any related Threads (mainly to save embarrassment), but is the driver and passenger door glass still readily available, or special make, or a wreckers item??
    Sorry for the stupid question , but mine are in pretty poor nic and I'll need to replace them. So I thought I'd just ask.
    Thanks,
    Evie. :shifty:
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Cruiser
    They often come up on ebay but Holden wreckers would have them.....try Ozboz. Rares make them for HQ only.
    Last edited by GTS; 12-09-2011 at 05:12 PM.

We replaced one side, with a glass given by a friend, and really ought to replace the other side on our yellow van...the glass needs to say pilkinton, and if you are doing a very correct resto, make sure they are not the new zealand made glass...you can buy kits which you rub all over the glass and it restores it to near perfect, gets all the scratches, and marks from years of use....but there is a lot of work in that, and not as easy as it sounds...going around wreckers would be an idea, and Oz from Ozwreck on the forum would be the person to ask...good luck with your search...
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

And another thing which I didnt know until a few years ago, is that you can get matching numbers glass.... Theres tiny dots above the lettering on the pilkington logo that denote the month and year the glass was made. One for the nerds really but who knew hey!?

Quote Originally Posted by hainzy View Post
    And another thing which I didnt know until a few years ago, is that you can get matching numbers glass.... Theres tiny dots above the lettering on the pilkington logo that denote the month and year the glass was made. One for the nerds really but who knew hey!?
    I used this in the 80's when I purchased cars to try tell if they had been in a smash it was generally a good starting point
    I thought it only denoted the year

Thanks for the help GTS, Jennie, Hainzy & Rodney. I'll get to the local wreckers first and then if no luck locally, I'll give Oz a ring!
    Thanks,
    Evie
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Roughly 5 years ago I went to an auto glazier (autoscreen Lavington) and they said that they could get the glass brand new (doors) as for the rear windows the bloke said "we just cut em up in lam"

Quote Originally Posted by HZ EVIE View Post
    Thanks for the help GTS, Jennie, Hainzy & Rodney. I'll get to the local wreckers first and then if no luck locally, I'll give Oz a ring!
    Thanks,
    Evie
    if your looking for scratch free do your best down there as i dont freight glass..if your looking for date coded scratch free you will have as much luck as me looking for a neat and tidy 40 year old single woman with no kids or emotional baggage who owns a pub and a fleet of collectible cars and is also a millionaire and has no immediate family and hates bitching at her man...

I get the feeling Oz your telling me a story about rocking horse sh*t. Thank you, I'll not worry so much about the date stamped glass

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Roughly 5 years ago I went to an auto glazier (autoscreen Lavington) and they said that they could get the glass brand new (doors) as for the rear windows the bloke said "we just cut em up in lam"
    Thanks Rico, I'll do a bit of a ring around locally and I might just get lucky

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by hainzy View Post
    A few years back my missus wanted to transfer the rego on an ACT rego'd car to NSW.The RTA worker said yep....alls fine BUT.....you will hafta take this car to an RTA depot as a randomly selected car for the purposes of checking for vehicle re-birthing rackets.At the RTA depot the inspector confirmed the dot dating system on the cars glass makers stamp, and he went on to say that if its one brand and all dates concur all around the car, then its fine. if the front screen is different, it should be a replacement of a different brand, sold to replacement companies in Australia. If the dot dates are different all around on a late model car,it may indicate the panels or doors have come off other vehicles, so then they look deeper.A good thing to remember when buying a so-called"all original" collectable car also. Would you lose points at a car show for such things too, I wonder?

Thread Information