Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Could this be a sandman - Chassis swap

I've seen this show before, but it's so good to watch again

I believe the things is yes, there is a shell there that was once part of a sandman and for that sort of money it's a great find.

However before you throw your large wads of cash at fixing it, just understand that if you ever want to sell to a collector in the future they are going to check the chasis and tags for a match.

Well done on your purchase mate, enjoy dooin that up. As for the chassis debate: Im stayin the hell outta that cause I know sweet f.a. really. I too, was one of a few teenagers that was into cars, everyone wanted VS commodores etc, I wanted a HQ van with a filthy big V8...had to settle for a 6cyl Kingsy sedan, (HJ) still was an awesome car though!

im with you Two Tees... all the way!!!!

To me the tags bear all the fruit. Anyone can grind and restamp a chassis (they can come and go- especially given they are prone to cracking etc), put the teeth on for hood lining and spot in some console mounts
    BQZ

That's a great find, very few utes around anywhere. Enjoy the rebuild of both your utes, and the pride of ownership. Congratulations.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    im with you Two Tees... all the way!!!!

To me the tags bear all the fruit. Anyone can grind and restamp a chassis (they can come and go- especially given they are prone to cracking etc), put the teeth on for hood lining and spot in some console mounts
    If thats the case I am going home and putting the hx sandman ute tags on my WB ute and forgetting about doing a resto. Whats the point.
    No way, the tags have to match the chassis.

agreed WB. as i mentioned i reckon the kid is killing it as he has the tags.. which bear the fruit!
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    If thats the case I am going home and putting the hx sandman ute tags on my WB ute and forgetting about doing a resto. Whats the point.
    What does that mean? A sandman with sandman tags is a Sandman. No one has said any different.

the tags have to match the chassis.
    I agree to be a full matching number, original vehicle along with the engine that needs to match the one on the sales docket. Then you have a complete matching number Sandman. Engine not matching It worth less money and not as original. Chassis not matching. Its worth less money and not as original. Paint not matching, not original and worth less money and so on.

WB you have changed your tune. This is a quote from a post you made previously following Absinth....
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the identity of a vehicle is in its tags.

If the tags are gone than a van is just a Belmont or Holden van and a ute is just a Belmont, Holden or Kingswood ute regardless of previous Sandman heritage. No tags.... No ID.

If you pranged your 76 Sandman in 78 and the chassis was beyond repair you could purchase a new chassis from GMH and have your Sandman repaired. The Sandman ID from the tags is still in place and the car is still a Sandman but has a replacement chassis.

Same applies to a replacement body shell to some degree..... A new body shell could be purchased from GMH to replace a badly damaged one....... However...... a replacement body shell from GMH had its own tags fitted denoting it as a Nasco replacement shell so technically your Sandman ID would now be gone as the original Sandman tags would stay with the old shell.

However.... I know of quite a few panelbeaters that did body replacements to repair vehicles back in the 80's that simply removed the Nasco ID and riveted the original ID from the old shell to the new one as it saved the owners the extra inconvenience of changing the details with the various registration depts.

In my opinion replacing a body shell is no different than replacing damaged panels... as long as the tag ID remains the vehicle is still a Sandman.

Now-a-days as collectors/restorers I still believe the tag ID denotes the vehicle pedigree no matter what has been replaced..... BUT.... a vehicle with matching ID... Body-Chassis-Tags-Engine will be the most valuable... non matching engine to a smaller degree less valuable and non matching chassis decreasing the value by a bit more.
    I have my opinion on chassis numbers which is much the same as Absinth. I think it adds to the value of a van/ute if they match but it isnt the be all and end all to their identity. However if you say that then it opens the whole can of worms as to the sale of tags on their own. I dont agree with that at all. So i suppose that means that you need the correct chassis to be 100% legit. So....... where do you stand if your chassis is blank? In the same position as any sandmans that have had a chassis replacement and restamp that the owners are unaware of really. There must be heaps of them about.
    Owners books and full history to me is the most reliable and therefore any vans/utes with that are the most valuable by a country mile.
    And I agree with most of what you said and strongly feel that tags should never be removed from the body.

The question I am raising here and have not heard a sensible answer is....
    How (in some people's opinion) does a sandman's identity evaporate because the chassis, with the same part number, gets changed?
    I have posted up a sensible explanation why it does not. Anyone?

as I said beforwe, I dont know enough to comment. seems to be a large debate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    agreed WB. as i mentioned i reckon the kid is killing it as he has the tags.. which bear the fruit!
    i hope your not implying that im going to kill the sandman, im planning to to do all i can to revive it to its former glory
    thanks robbo im pretty pleased with it, alot of work but ill be worth it
    does anyone know what colour 368-30518 is, and what coloir 18v is(interior)

Thread Information