Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V6HQUTE Ute Build

V6HQUTE Ute Build

hi all, only joined here tonight,bit about my self, p plater, doing up/rebuilding a hq ute bare metal respray,white needle gts dash(changed from hq) hz stato front, gts guards, body and chassie all rebuilt, with commy v6, 5 spd and converted vn diff, cause i cant drive a v8, have done most of the work myself with some help from my dad, the chassies done waiting for the body which is in at the pannel beaters, i will also be doing as much there as possible, ive got a build thread on aussiev8 but its not working so i cant put a link up(if anyones interested that is)

anyways about the my gts dash fascia is a bit chopped up, just untidy, i was wondering what model fascia it is, and if its worth fixing or just get a new/better second hand one, i will be cutting the radio hole out bigger which will sort out a few hole but not all, and im also after a gts steering wheel horn button and hz-wb manual console plastic thing, doesnt need a boot, my interiors off being redone so i would just get a new boot made from any left over vinyal, are the rare spares stuff any good
    heres a pic of the dash, any helps appreciated this is my first project, it heading towards 2yrs soon
    cheers myles

Banned
    Its most likely HX but could be a HJ facia with forced air. It looks prety good to me.
    The rares manual console inserts are good.
    Would have been a big job converting the HQ to HJ/Z dash!

[MENTION=771]V6HQUTE[/MENTION] first up welcome to the site and hope you have as much fun here as other do!

You've come to the right place in getting HQ-WB info and your progress sounds interesting, as wbute said, you can repair that fascia easily enough, or contact Absinth here on the forums he does some great dash and fascia restoration work.

thanks mate whats the go with forced air stuff does it make any difference, im putting in a/c out of a wb stato, had to buy the 4 speed fan contols to suit, wb was way to big, got the whole ac system and wb switch for $80 cheap as, and bought the right switch for $25, i didnt convert the dash the last bloke did i just had to fix his rubbish work, where he welded it was all too high and would have cracked the windcreen so i cut a fair bit out and replaced it, he also managed to warp the side of the ute real nice from welding up the torno clip holes, im 1/2way through changing the bonnet lines to hz, i wanted to bog the lones up incase i ever wanted to change back to hq, but my dad and the pannel beater ganged up on me so now im welding in hz ones with a skim of bog not 1/2" which in the long run will be better, ill probally only do the ute once, ive got another hq, wb or a hz kingswood sedan to pick form next, and another 2 rusty utes for parts and metal, ill put up my build thread on aussie v8 once its back on line, have done a fair bit of work, had to put half the back floor back in cause the last bloke again cut a big hole for a spare tyre, to drop into a tub, just not practical if ive got a ute full of stuff

--- Updated ---

cheers blocker, i was going to glue a bit of sheet metal over the cd section and repaint but id rather see if i can fix it properly first

Banned
    WB stato AC doesnt really work in a commercial. The big heater box in the engine bay is the same but the ducting box inside the cab is different. The cable that opens the heater flap works in the oposite direction to the commercial one and it wont work with the commercial controls. Just telling you before you put it all in and find out. You need to get the inside firewall bit from a hj-hz car/commercial. If you sit them side by side they look the same, but they are not.
    Forced air uses the center vent in the dash. So as it was optional on HJ most HJ dash facia had the center hole filled in/not cut out. Makes no difference to fitting AC.

thanks mate thats a bit of a pain im not ready for ages yet but its good to know, i take it i cant use a hz,j,x,wb inside heater box, has to be a/c cause ive got heaps of heaters, can it still be done with wb stato, if i have to

Banned
    Yeah it has to be AC inside box because they are vacuum controlled, not cable(except for the heater flap).

I used the WB Stato box in my WB ute, but I had to work the heater flap cable with the old floor vent cable, so its bodgy and I will change it to the right set-up one day. i dont like bodgy much lol.

allright then add that to the parts list thanks for the info mate

--- Updated ---

cant get aussie v8 to work so heres a few pics for a general idea
    this is how i bought it

leaky roof

--- Updated ---

chassie

vn diff 4 wheel disks

me fixing the floor, took neally all day by myself

the rad support and nose cone were both rust on the bottom half so i cut and shut a standard for repairs on both, can see where the welds were

finished nose cone i also put a new blinker section on the other was damaged

underbody wire brushed and deadened

everything has been bare metaled even the inner side of the the door
    this is sorta of what it looks like now, except the doors and dash are also high filled

thats what it looked like off to the pannel beaters, all bare metaled, fire wall, floor pan, door jams the only thing that wasnt was underbody it was only wire brushed

thoughts??

Banned
    Your doing a great job!

I have never seen that hole in the floor for the spare wheel before, and am glad you got rid of it lol!

Keep the pics coming.

Thread Information