Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro-fitting Power Steering to a WB

if you can buy that for around the 125 mark or less your doing well..the right bits are there..that is a metric end pump,high pressure hose is around 100 bucks new..crank pully can be hard to find but you can use a commodore a/c bottom pulley..slightly larger and not hard to find..then its only box with fittings.

i have a 6 cyl bracket, ex commodore blue motor an all bolts, no pump. $80 metric to metric.
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

wow thanks guys! I agree with all of the points made, I too have opted to leave it as armstrong steering now as well a I believe I have gone soft. Ive canned the idea of a sports wheel (aftermarket) and if I cannot find a GTS hweel when the time comes, I will merely look for a horn bar with the woodgrain inset. Front end will be getting new rubbers and greased to the pg13house.

that 6cyl pump and bracket is in Dandenong... depends on how much of a hurry you are to do yr conversion, cld pick up for u and bring up to Benalla when we do our weekend up there end October... my guess is you may want it before then tho.... just an option if you're worried about how to get it.
    it's here and I love it!!

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    Hi there,I have a hx van the best thing i ever did was put power steering on it,it gets driven most days now i can park it .the only thing i would do different is leave the long steering arms on and not fit the short ones.
    cheers.
    You don't want long steering arms with power steering, the turning circle is terrible that way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    You don't want long steering arms with power steering, the turning circle is terrible that way.
    I agree, my wb still has long arms, it has turning circle a little bigger than my Kenworth truck.

So have I got this right?

Long Arms = Armstrong steering
    Sort arms = Power Steering

[MENTION=203]Mazdragon[/MENTION] Thanks for the offer that is huge, really appreciate that. I havge decided to leave it as armstrong steering at the moment, The van wont be ready this side of Melb cup weekend probably next year even! Slowly rubbing it back, taking a whil;e but I was expecting that thansk again for all help, much appreciated. Just doing research first before I go off buying parts etc, dont want top buy stuff that I dont really need. I have only owned 4 cars with power steering, I think I need to harden up a bit....Im goin soft.

Sandman Guru
    Almost. HQ has the short arms regardless of power or not. HJ-WB have the long arms for manual steer, short for power.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Almost. HQ has the short arms regardless of power or not. HJ-WB have the long arms for manual steer, short for power.
    hq hj have short arms for all..long arms came in with rts.

Sandman Guru
    You sure Greg? I'm pretty certain only HQ with non power steer had short arms.

Thread Information