Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advertised as.."1980 HZ SANDMAN".

Advertised as.."1980 HZ SANDMAN".

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...9912&silo=1011

Add reads..."9/76 HX 308 T400" Seller says its "The King of Sandmans."
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Sandman Guru
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and insert HX: "King of HX Sandmans".

TH400 wasn't that much dearer than a trimatic as he quotes. I think L31 M41 was around $1500 over the base L20 M20.

I find it difficult to understand why you would swap a GTS dash for that ugly one, everyone in the day changed normal dashes for GTS, or dreamed about doing that...

This was the dream of most of the blokes,
    1. lower the front
    2. Add GTS guards
    3. Swap to GTS Dash
    4. if not already a V8 4spd replace with..
    5. Add Tramp rods...
    6. Chrome the dif

Now to remember that sequence, it would have to have been said to me a lot....

I wish I could remember appointments the way I remember things which were said about cars 30 years ago:knockout::knockout:
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Cruiser
    Personally, I think my Sandman is the King of Sandmans. Possibly because I own it, but I'd drive my manual over an auto any day. And mine is 308 too! Mandarin red would have to be classified as strawberry too I think, Not vanilla...
    If I was buying a car from the factory, It'd be manual. Each to their own though.

Sandman Guru
    Remember though a Sandman was in the day a relatively easy way to get an optioned up van. So lots of tradesmen bought them (usually without stripes), and if they towed a lot they bought an auto. Also for reversing onto building sites etc. The 3spd manuals were also common as unlike the 4spds they had a usable reverse gear.

When I use the term "King" in conjunction with Sandman I usually refer to the most highly optioned and/or rarest and hence usually the most expensive to buy. That is why I refer to the HJ Kingswood Sandman ute in L31 M41 guise as the "King" Sandman. A HX van of any type would not in my opinion be anywhere near the top. But a Bordeaux L31 M41 van would just about be the most expensive, rarest and top spec HX Sandman (van, metallic, L31, M41 and probably power steering, LSD and intermittent wipers too).

Jennie is right, all we ever did was fit GTS dash, 308, 4spd, mags and stereo. Often a Statesman front and WB tail-lights too. The only probably variation from this was when we bought original TH400 fitted cars they stayed as it was a "tough" thing to have.

Ok, correct me if I am wrong (I most likely am) To "restore" this van to its Sandman heritage you would need to do the following: Delete the GTS flutes in the guards, replace GTS dash, GTS steering wheel, GTS Rally wheels, Blackouts & the correct seats. Is this correct?

Cruiser
    Still has the wheels, but the rest, yeah truee.

The centre console looks to me need replacing as well.
    Great buy for someone wanting to do a restoration though.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    I find it difficult to understand why you would swap a GTS dash for that ugly one, everyone in the day changed normal dashes for GTS, or dreamed about doing that...

This was the dream of most of the blokes,
    1. lower the front
    2. Add GTS guards
    3. Swap to GTS Dash
    4. if not already a V8 4spd replace with..
    5. Add Tramp rods...
    6. Chrome the dif

Now to remember that sequence, it would have to have been said to me a lot....

I wish I could remember appointments the way I remember things which were said about cars 30 years ago:knockout::knockout:
    We also chucked out the steering wheels and put 3 spoke SAAS ones on:knockout: also gave the GTS rims to dad for his trailer and put US racers ( well cheaper copies anyway ) or Dragways:errf:

Quote Originally Posted by hxbunny View Post
    We also chucked out the steering wheels and put 3 spoke SAAS ones on:knockout: also gave the GTS rims to dad for his trailer and put US racers ( well cheaper copies anyway ) or Dragways:errf:
    Yes I forgot to say that, those who could afford it put US racing mags on, together with BF goodrich TA Radials, written with white writing, of which you got a white chalky pen which some sucker girlfriend used to re white the words with :knockout: Also deffo stato fronts, Rodney was the first I knew of who had a HZ which came with a twinheadlight front end....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Thread Information