Thread: Hello to all Vaners and Vanettes.......

P Plater

Hello to all Vaners and Vanettes.......

I am the Rockape....aka Pete, only joined your site today and must say I love it. My reason for joining is two fold...1, i just love old Holdens, especially utes and vans, and 2, after having owned many Holden utes from HQ to VS (and an 05 XR8, sorry) i have decided to buy my first van....woohoo.
    I live currently in Mackay, only because of the booming economy here, and even locating a van here or anywhere North of the NSW border has proved fruitless. So, i have decided upon one from down South. Buying something unseen is fraught with danger i know, but it appears to be what i will be doing. Have found an '80 WB, white, gas, 253 auto. I am a big country music fan and some of you will be familure with Mud Bulls and Music? It's a 4 day bundy marathon/festival, which is what i really want the van for. Almost 40.....you'd have thought i'd have grown up by now.

Ok, i have some brain picking to do, i am hoping some of you guys may be able to help me with my questions.
    1. Who should i source to transport the van from Melbourne to Mackay? What $ am i looking at? General consensus from some of the local yocals is approx. 800.

2. Will an HJ front clip bolt straight onto the front WB guards or, if i'm wanting to give it a HJ front do i require nose, bonet, guards? Obviously i'm hoping just nose, but i seem to recall there being a disparity between the two.

3. I will need a set of 14 inch GTS rims. Anyone???

4. I'm wanting it to look as original as possible to a white HJ (i bet this is the part where i learn there was no such thing ). What color decals did the white models boast?

5. Almost forgot....it has windows. Did any model HJ come standard with side windows? Were they special orders. I'd prefer it to be windowless anyway (my showing off days have waned), how difficult is it to get them filled in, if in fact you can? ANd what sort of cost?

6. Should any of you guys be from Mackay way and are in the know, i'd love to make a new friend or two and talk cars. I know few people here and it's hard to find things out. If you are 5'10", brunette and resemble Katie Middleton, or hell, even Pipa, i'd most definately like to meet you.

Thanks heaps guys for any assistance you may be able to give me. I really enjoy perusing this site, it will be cool to feel like i 'belong' once the van is in my possession.

Agian, hello to you all, and again, thanks.

Rockape

Welcome to the site Rockape! Lots of questions but congrats on getting back into Vanning!
    Tip one from me would be to take advantage of the search option at the top right of the homepage! There are many threads about similar questions as yours and should be easy to find and navigate from there..
    Lots of well informed ppl on here so enjoy what's on offer..
    Cheers..
    Gaddy..

Welcome Rockape, all your question's will be answered on this site.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Rockape..yes second that all you need to know will be on this forum...well most of it...we are all learning.....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Welcome Rockape. I too have just got into vanning. I have also bought a WB. What I have been told is: to put a HJ front on, you will need, HJ gurads, nose cone and radiator support. (I think the bonnet matches but I could be wrong). Side windows can be stiched up/filled in , best that you find a reputable panel shop who can do this sort of work-if they stuff it, then it stands out like dogs knackers. Transport....hmmm tricky one, that I dont know about, Im headed for Gippsland with a mate this Saturday to collect mine. Side windows, Im not sure but Id say the would have been an option really. A white HJ standard...yeah Id reckon they did exist (Police Divvy's) I have also seen em when I was a kid, nearly every plumber had em. Well done on your purchase and enjoy it, cant wait tom see some pics!

This site is like a naural resource on Holden vans, a dedicated group doing what they can for the preservation of a bygone era for the future generations....geez Im full of it today!
    Last edited by Rico; 22-08-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post

This site is like a naural resource on Holden vans, a dedicated group doing what they can for the preservation of a bygone era for the future generations....geez Im full of it today!
    I suggested to Rodney that we apply to the government for a grant, since we are preserving pieces of Australian History.....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Welcome matey. Its good to see another 'Peter' on the site! Pete's united!

hello and welcome to the dark side that is panelvans :D the windows can be tricky to fill in but definately worth it i will be redoing mine for the 2nd time just properly this time, was a quick fix the first time round and has done its job well

if you have any paint questions, feel free to ask me, im a qualified painter just an injured one who cannot paint now but still can give lotws of advice
    1973 HQ with HZ front. Currently waiting for its resto.
    308 for sale too

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Welcome Rockape. I too have just got into vanning. I have also bought a WB. What I have been told is: to put a HJ front on, you will need, HJ gurads, nose cone and radiator support. (I think the bonnet matches but I could be wrong). Side windows can be stiched up/filled in , best that you find a reputable panel shop who can do this sort of work-if they stuff it, then it stands out like dogs knackers. Transport....hmmm tricky one, that I dont know about, Im headed for Gippsland with a mate this Saturday to collect mine. Side windows, Im not sure but Id say the would have been an option really. A white HJ standard...yeah Id reckon they did exist (Police Divvy's) I have also seen em when I was a kid, nearly every plumber had em. Well done on your purchase and enjoy it, cant wait tom see some pics!

rico is learning..bonnet, inner gaurds,bonnet hinges and battery tray are only items that can be used when convertiing a wb front back to hjxz..:Tophat:

Thread Information