Thread: Bellhousings

Bellhousings

I was chasing another bellhousing for a factory HQ.
    How far into the commodores can I go for the same part?
    Til the aussie gearbox finished or they altered it before that.
    Thanks

need more info on what you want to do?
    but if you want a factory hq 4 speed bellhousing thats correct to the hq then you can only go to mid hz...$45 plus freight for a v8 hq bellhousing without fork..i have a few..:Chin:

Sandman Guru
    Greg is spot on. The following will work. V8 and 6cyl different of course. Changed to full cable around 8/78.

HT-HZ 3spd.
    HQ-HZ V8 manual exc HQ 350
    LC-LX manual except Opel.
    CF Bedford with red 6cyl.

Above excludes LH drive 3spd

Thanks for the info, 308 trimatic back to its original aussie 4 speed. I have near new clutch, shifter and I can rat mates 3 on the tree 6 wreck for bits so I am part of the way there. Just getting bits together for when I get around to it . Think Ill try to hunt out gearbox ,bellhousing and flywheel as one as seem often together for not much / no difference to the price. Dont know much about commodores and as per usual ebay etc with misleading advertising ie: hq - vk bellhousing thought Id ask for an informed opinion before forking out and finding it was wrong. Thanks for the offer of the bellhousing greg but Ill have a go at scrounging first a bit closer to home.

Sandman Guru
    You then want :

HT-mid HZ V8 3spd.
    HQ-mid HZ 4spd except HQ 350.

6cyl 3spd clutch setup will be OK if it is HQ or HJ. You just have to swap one part to make it work on a V8: the bracket that bolts to the bellhousing.

Any HT-VSIII V8 flywheel that isn't one of those later stupid dual mass setups will do.

For the 4spd just buy any aussie 4spd. It'll all need rebuilding anyway and you can buy all new bits for them. The only V8 bit you'll have to track down is the input shaft cover if you get a 6cyl box. I can probably sell you an M21 3rd gear if the box you buy is an M20 or M22, and you'll need new input shaft, 1st and 2nd gears, synchros and bearings. It is very rare to find good secondhand boxes nowadays and apart from 3rd gear the bits that need replacing are those that make the differences between M20, M21, M22, XU-1 and L34 boxes.

Thanks that dates it well, I recon I have seen somebody remaking that bracing bracket Ill have a hunt around unless somebody knows straight off.
    Yep the wrecks a HQ the SES around here get a few donated to practice on and mate is the local mechanic/towey so ends up with them.
    They do great work but I would rather they practice on magna's rather than older stuff.They did a lc coupe that was half decent recently!

Got all of the bits except the clutch bracket and a good flywheel so if anybodys got any of those 2 bits spare and will be anywhere near the Queanbeyan swap later this month could contact me please.

Thread Information