Thread: Newbie.....

P Plater

Newbie.....

Gidday everyone, I am a retired mechanic who has come to realise I cannot keep my hands of my spanner.I already own an exquisite ek holden in pristine condition, and now I have found and purchased a HX Sandman van, all the mechanicals are already done, she just needs a good make over in and out ( sounds like a girl I know). I am looking for info on where the spare was stowed, as I can't remember for the life of me where it was in the sandmans, and the correct jack/brace and handle it should have also, as she was fitted at one time with LPG but that has been ditched.I will also be looking for any info as it arises for decals, (gotta feel sorry for Jason, *@%&$## evil empires) and interior bits aswell. Basically unmolested in appearance, but had a celica 5spd mod done at some stage aswell, to be rectified.
    This van I've found also came with a complete history with books etc and the tent(which is in fair condition). any info shared will be greatfully taken in, and any advice I can offer will be cheerfully given. I will post pics of the discovery, the home coming and beautification process as it happens once I get my head around these computers. Cheers!

Firstly, welcome to this site.
    Where abouts in NSW are you because a few of us are catching up next Sunday @ All Holden Day in Richmond?
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Spare wheel was hanging on a little winch under the back of the van. The winch was probably removed in order to fit the LPG tank.

P Plater

all holden day

thanks for the replies....
    I won't be able to attend the all holden day, unfortunately as the EK has issues relating to oiling as a result of oil filter fitment, and I just haven't had time to pull out the engine and return it to original so that its fit for long drives (from Southern Highlands)or use as a daily driver. Not to mention clashing important dates on the same weekend.(Grrrr!)
    Thanks for the memory jog on the spare carrier too, so I guess I'll add one of them to my wish list also.......unless anyone here can put me in touch with someone who has one(Please)
    Looking forward to a good result with this project. cheers.

if it had lpg they would have cut the cross brace for the spare wheel out which is where the winch sits..i have cross brace cuts..$55 plus freight..winches im always running short of..not sure i have one atm..$95..

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/...5/DSC01647.jpg

this is a picture of our van after removing gas tank and welding in floor stiffer and chassis components for spare tyre winch
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

P Plater

spare tyre bits

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    if it had lpg they would have cut the cross brace for the spare wheel out which is where the winch sits..i have cross brace cuts..$55 plus freight..winches im always running short of..not sure i have one atm..$95..
    Thanks for the reply, I will keep you in mind if there is anything else I need to find. Its funny how sometimes things are right under your nose.....
    dropped by a local wrecker who I thought was only into high-turnover stuff..... later and tinnier crap.....turns out he is a H-series perv....monaros and sandmans! he has everything I'm looking for for this one. I am still tryin to get some pictures up for all to see.....I might have to kidnap a nerd me thinks.....

Quote Originally Posted by mckackie View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I will keep you in mind if there is anything else I need to find. Its funny how sometimes things are right under your nose.....
    dropped by a local wrecker who I thought was only into high-turnover stuff..... later and tinnier crap.....turns out he is a H-series perv....monaros and sandmans! he has everything I'm looking for for this one. I am still tryin to get some pictures up for all to see.....I might have to kidnap a nerd me thinks.....
    Kidnap a nerd...thats funny. Welcome to the site and enjoy the rebuild!

Thread Information