Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Louth Clearing Sale Dunlop station

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    We went to Louth to a clearing sale on Dunlop Station. Everything went for way more than it was probably worth...there were probably 2500 people there....and it took forever to get through...great day out though stopping at Louth pub on the way there and back....Rodney bought a nice old endless chain which was well made...

We wanted to buy an EK but they were pretty much had it...green one was $750, not going, and white one about $3700 and was driveable...

The Willys jeeps went for $9K and 7K, the 4 x 4 XY $25000.00 to a phone bidder who wanted it at what ever cost...

this gives you an idea of the people who were there...we arrived and there were loads of car trailers sitting waiting to take home a vehicle

We hit a roo and thankfully only bent the numberplate it went under the car

Rodneys brother outside Shindy's pub on the way out

yeh its good to see the value of the stuff weve been collecting for years is going up in value

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    I guess because they are into Fords, and they only made 430 of them...we would have bought it for about $7000, and sat on it for a few years..and do bits and pieces as money allowed. Ford actually made these in 1972 they kept 430 XY bodies to make them, but called them XA on the badge, as it was during the time XA's were being built....
    I suppose so, but there was about 50 or so Overlander utes made. XY's are monocoque construction, Overlander utes are full chassis. It'll probably be the same BS reason that blokes pay ridiculous $ for XY GT's. What that reason is I don't know. Maybe it is because Ford didn't build anything worth having after XY (apart from XA RPO83)!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Maybe it is because Ford didn't build anything worth having after XY (apart from XA RPO83)!
    We have had Xr8's and now a GT BF since 1981, and have never had trouble with them...have never been a fan of commodores, my love of holdens ended when they stopped making WB's...but that is what makes us all different..you and I did discuss the cross 8 which was a great concept but when petrol went up it was not economical to own....I do however think Holden exhaust systems sound far better than fords...but that is where it ends for me....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Sandman Guru
    I meant collectable stuff, not modern. GMH built a lot of collectable cars after 1972 ie late XU-1, L34, A9X and the Group A homologation cars too from VK-VN (yes some aren't GMH vehicles but very closely related). Plus very collectable other stuff too like HQ and HJ GTS coupes. Ford Australia didn't do much you'd want to own after the XA RPO83. I think this greater pool of performance and collectable cars in the GMH stable is the reason Ford blokes go nuts after one or two series.
    I'm with you on not wanting Commodores, I don't like them either. I think i've only ever owned one, and old VH 173 4spd I bought when my HJ ute got written off to see me through until I found another ute. Although I think my VSIII S pack ute might have had a Commodore badge. None of the others have been Commodores though: VY SS ute, VZ Cross 8 and V2 Monaro. I do have to find a replacement for the V2 for my mrs next year and I cannot bring myself to buy a Commodore 4 door. If I wanted a 6cyl family car today I don't think you can go past the current Ford XR6 or G6E. There is no way you'd comtemplate a V8 Ford today though. I might have to buy her a Calais to avoid the Commodore name!

Banned
    It all comes down to how rare they are. Not many made, people want them for their exclusiveness. Any connection to racing ups the "I want" factor.

Holden V8's sound different to Chev and Ford due to their different firing order I believe. I agree they have a heaps better sound than either of those other two.

Thread Information