Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision time...

Cruiser

Decision time...

So I discovered a windowless HQ van that has been stripped back to metal, then shoved under a tarp in a lean to and a WB van with windows and a ? twin headlight front with late model GTS gaurds. This van is complete, bench seat, column manual, standard dash and running a 6 cyl.
    Apparently there is a 3rd van in the collection. HQ also. All three vans are for sale.
    My problem is I'm unsure as to whether or not I should finish my HQ ute and sell it off for a silly ammount, buy the vans and piece together one van out of the goodies??

The ute in question is the one in my picture. It's straight enough, the paint work needs a little attention but not much. I have a 350 chev to go in. It runs a five speed, I can get hold of a 9 inch disc brake diff, The interior is being restitched, it runs a good gas system and will be 100% roadworthy and have 12 months Vic rego on it when it's sold.
    Do I finish it? Will I get enough from the sale, plus the selling off of the other 2 vans to get a chuck on paint job that doesn't need to be perfect and all the other bits and pieces required to get it up and running on the road?
    I haven't looked at the HQ as it's under a tarp, but the actual body up to the join line is 99% rust free. One spot in the sill that needs attention. Hanging panels including the doors have repairable rust, but for the sake of this story I'm not sure I want them. The gaurds, bonnet and nosecone are straight and rust free on the WB. I have a 308 and a 253 as a transplant engine...
    I'm up in the air at the moment and the Missus isn't keen.
    This (lengthy) post is to ask fellow van lovers for their opinions I guess. I'd love to do a van as a daily driver, that wasn't a Sandman, that I can mismatch bits and make a mean, cool driver. Then again the HQ could be a Sandman. Haven't checked the tags yet.
    :Chin: :errf: Dunno.

I would buy the vans, as they sound in not too bad a condition, and keep the ute.....then gradually do up the vans as money allows...think of it like shares...only this will definitely go up in value shares may not...
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

take it i say

Have you checked the tags... :-)

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    I would buy the vans, as they sound in not too bad a condition, and keep the ute.....then gradually do up the vans as money allows...think of it like shares...only this will definitely go up in value shares may not...

The problem at the moment is $$ being saved for a house. And, nowhere to store them until we get our new place, which could be as far away as 3 years. I'd really only sell the ute to fund the build of a nice van to replace it. But I'm definately keen to hear others opinions still

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Have you checked the tags... :-)

Mauser

Not yet mate, but I'll be able to sneak a look soon.

I reckon you get the Q vans & put the Q ute front & donk etc. in the van. Build a carport to store the stuff (second hand tin n stuff).
    Build 1 good van. Put the 6 in the ute with the wb front. Use what you've got to get what you want- cheapest way, then sell the rest...

cheers \m/

I reckon you should cool your heels! I bought my Manderin HX then when i was looking for parts i found another HX sandman van and 3 WB's. Its gotta stop!!!! Its too easy to keep em coming in and a lot harder to store them properly. The time pressures youll be under with 4 vans will blow your head off...this is all before your GF tells you to start spending more time with her and that you 'owe' her a weekend away because she helped you tow or drive one of them home!!
    BQZ

Cruiser
    If I catch the owner today I'll be checking the HQ windowless out. Will update later on.

Sandman Guru
    If I had enough flat land space I'd buy shipping containers and put stuff like that in.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    If I had enough flat land space I'd buy shipping containers and put stuff like that in.
    Second that motion!!

Buy em keep em at all cost!!

Thread Information