Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HDT Replica Van

161120142152.jpg
    Engine and box in. Now to plumb and wire and sort out the TVS and shifter for the Turbo 700.

Can't wait to see it finished Rallyvan.
    So can you hurry up a little. LOL
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

280220152373.jpg280220152375.jpg280220152376.jpg200220152372.jpg200220152372.jpg
    More progress on the van. All the suspension has been rebushed, new ball joints and tie rods etc and some new Bilstein shocks all round. Recoed diff has been fitted along with rebuilt rear drums.
    The power steer and carby have been reconditioned and fitted along with a new HEI dizzy. I modified a Turbo 400 shifter (lengthened the bottom lever) so I could get the shifter to work with the standard HZ console. This weekend hopefully I can finish tidying up the wiring so the GTS dash can be fitted and modify the loom near the ignition switch to suit the new HEI dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by rallyvan View Post
    280220152373.jpg280220152375.jpg280220152376.jpg200220152372.jpg200220152372.jpg
    More progress on the van. All the suspension has been rebushed, new ball joints and tie rods etc and some new Bilstein shocks all round. Recoed diff has been fitted along with rebuilt rear drums.
    The power steer and carby have been reconditioned and fitted along with a new HEI dizzy. I modified a Turbo 400 shifter (lengthened the bottom lever) so I could get the shifter to work with the standard HZ console. This weekend hopefully I can finish tidying up the wiring so the GTS dash can be fitted and modify the loom near the ignition switch to suit the new HEI dizzy.
    Wow, that is coming together nicely!
    Nunc est bibendum...

wow its come along since I last looked at it this post a few months ago! Is the plan to be at the Nats?

No plan for the Nats. I was hoping to have the van registered at the end of next week but when I filled the cooling system this morning I had coolant coming out from under one of the intake manifold bolts so I have taken a backward step. I'm hoping some Holmar on the offending bolt will fix the issue.

If its just the bolt maybe it will. Bugger!

Your NSW you should head to the Nats! (mainly because id love to see it in the flesh) haha

The coolant leak proved to be the least of the issues. The freshly rebuilt engine never got oil pressure. I cracked it and sourced a second hand 308 and the van is now running with V8 power and moving in and out of the garage under its own power. I am in the process of fitting up all the seals and the interior of the van. Hoping to get a new exhaust fitted some time in the next two weeks. Have fitted a little amplifier in centre console under the selector indicator assembly that is wire up to allow an iPod to plug in and have built a storage box that lives under the passenger's side floor of the van that has a auxiliary battery and ARB air compressor mounted in it for when I am away servicing rally cars. Hope to have the van on the road by October as I have committed to taking the van to Victoria at the end of November for the Alpine Rally.

"
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyvan View Post
    The coolant leak proved to be the least of the issues. The freshly rebuilt engine never got oil pressure. I cracked it and sourced a second hand 308 and the van is now running with V8 power and moving in and out of the garage under its own power. I am in the process of fitting up all the seals and the interior of the van. Hoping to get a new exhaust fitted some time in the next two weeks. Have fitted a little amplifier in centre console under the selector indicator assembly that is wire up to allow an iPod to plug in and have built a storage box that lives under the passenger's side floor of the van that has a auxiliary battery and ARB air compressor mounted in it for when I am away servicing rally cars. Hope to have the van on the road by October as I have committed to taking the van to Victoria at the end of November for the Alpine Rally.
    Might be a silly question but did you prime the oil pump with petroleum jelly?

I primed the pump with grease which I think has probably blocked a gallery. The stuffed engine is sitting on a stand waiting for some attention at some point. I'm a bit keen on a stroker motor with one of those 4 barrel style throttle bodies.

Thread Information