Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De value hj ute

De value hj ute

in the eyes of you people if i put power streeing on my hj ute will it de value it as it was not built with it

Not at all. If anything it would increase the value slightly especially if you use correct HJ style components. It was a factory option and is a bolt on one at that so easily removeable if you want it back to factory specs.......
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KRUIZ View Post
    in the eyes of you people if i put power streeing on my hj ute will it de value it as it was not built with it
    I know what my HJ Sandman Panel Van is like to drive and its absolute buggery! I've got some HZ arms which I'll be changing with my HJ ones. Apparently once done its like driving a power steering vehicle! Lets face it, anything is better than no power steering on a bloody tank!
    Last edited by Rolla; 09-07-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcknrlla View Post
    I know what my HJ Sandman Panel Van is like to drive and its absolute buggery! I've got some HZ arms which I'll be changing with my HJ ones. Apparently once done its like driving a power steering vehicle! Lets face it, anything is better than no power steering on a bloody tank!
    Geez rlla add a teaspoon of cement to your coffee in the morning and harden up.....

Actually, driving the old HJ without PS isn't that bad.... it's turning the wheel while parking that really gets those arm muscles pumping... try fitting 235's to the front wheels and a 14" SAAS sports steering wheel to really build up those biceps....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Geez rlla add a teaspoon of cement to your coffee in the morning and harden up.....

Actually, driving the old HJ without PS isn't that bad.... it's turning the wheel while parking that really gets those arm muscles pumping... try fitting 235's to the front wheels and a 14" SAAS sports steering wheel to really build up those biceps....
    What can I say Absinth, too much of and not enough of :weights:. Only of course in a Sandman!

I think there are two types of steering arms short ones that are on hq's and power steer hq to HZ, and probably even wb,and longer ones that are on all others

Rcknrlla so In reading your comment did hj have short steering arms like hq

And a bit of advise that a guy from a wrecking yard gave me if you put power steering on also change to short power steering arms other wise your turning circle will be hopeless

Banned
    Power steering is good! I have the long arms on still and yes its increased the turning circle. However, if you really want to up the arm muscles I would suggest that an XD ute without power steering was worse than a holden and worse than both of them is a 4WD 89 model hilux without power steering. It was a tough one in the car park.
    There is no way of knowing if your ute/van ever had power steering factory fitted anyway, other than next to none of them would have as men were men in the 70's and they wouldnt have been caught dead taking that wimpy option! They also all were rather proud of their sunburnt right arm because only a wimp had AC! They were the days. Going to Dubbo with Mum and Dad in the HJ wagon stck to the vinyl seats. But the best bit was getting back into the bloody thing in the middle of summer after it was locked up in the car park for a couple of hours! I dont reckon my kids would handle it too well if we went back to a HJ wagon lol.

I dont see the fitment of power steering bineg a devaluation. As long as its the right bits I guess. I came accross an old bloke in Albury one day with a WB ute that he had owned from new. It had VN/VP Commoodre power steer pump on it. Looked way out of place, but the job was done well, on a Sandman though I wouldnt see it ultimatly detracting form the price, but thats just me. A lot of guys here would know better. Im only learning still. and Loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    However, if you really want to up the arm muscles I would suggest that an XD ute without power steering was worse than a holden and worse than both of them is a 4WD 89 model hilux without power steering. It was a tough one in the car park.
    Yep! Owned an XF ute with 7's, 84 diesel hilux with 15x8's and a HZ van with 235,s and a small saas wheel. None had power steer and the HZ was probably the best, not great but better than the others.

I am not as young as I was and I don't think I would like to drive one these days with out power steer. Anyone interested in buying your HJ would probably be the same.

Cruiser

I have never owned a vehicle that had power steering... From memory my van was ok. The worst was the HX premier. 245 front tyres didn't help...

Thread Information