Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone help with these possible HJ Sandman numbers?

Learner Driver

Anyone help with these possible HJ Sandman numbers?

Hi, wondering if anyone could help with identy of another van that i have just bought.Possible Sandman or nicely optioned van!

I.D Plate

Model HJ8WM70
    Body 159601 A
    Trim 2214 -60V
    Paint 568-15991
    L31 M41 GU7

Complience Plate

8/75 BHJ 30498S
    GVW 2200 Seating 2

Body I.D Plate

8M70TEH861500J

It has matching chassis number but has a LH - LX Torana 253 with Trimatic fitted on gas.

The body has the console brackets,full headlining clips at the back, original GTS guards, dash and steering wheel. Has roof rack slats on top and two windows either side.

Unfortunately the body is a bit rough with about 10 different coats of paint on it and rust showing in places but it may be worth doing up.
    Enjoying driving it for now and repairing faults as i go!
    Thanks for a great site and any info would be greatly appreciated.
    I asked for some info on my HZ van here a while back and received a couple of replies,very handy,thankyou.
    Cheers John

Cruiser
    This is more like the king of the Sandmen, Tuxedo Black chamois int 308 Turbo 400, bugger your boring white utes

Quote Originally Posted by mr.jones View Post
    This is more like the king of the Sandmen, Tuxedo Black chamois int 308 Turbo 400, bugger your boring white utes
    Yes got to agree. A black one is nice to see!
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Learner Driver

Still unsure,Sandman or not?

Thanks ,i agree, Tuxedo Black would look pretty cool.The van is flat black at the moment ,i will see if i can get a picture up.
    Does anybody know if this could be a Sandman? Cheers Rokvan

Quote Originally Posted by Rokvan View Post
    Thanks ,i agree, Tuxedo Black would look pretty cool.The van is flat black at the moment ,i will see if i can get a picture up.
    Does anybody know if this could be a Sandman? Cheers Rokvan
    If Mr. Jones says its the king of Sandman's then it is a Sandman, from the information given....Mr. Jones is one of the most knowledgable people on the forum....:knockout:
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    If Mr. Jones says its the king of Sandman's then it is a Sandman, from the information given....Mr. Jones is one of the most knowledgable people on the forum....:knockout:

Thanks Jen, (where's the red faced smiley?) I was rather facetiously suggesting that this combo was the best Sandman combination rather the positively id'ing the vehicle in question. Sean or Byron are the men for that , I'm here learning like everyone else.

Given all that there is a fair chance it is given the combo
    Last edited by mr.jones; 01-07-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: getting back on topic

Sandman Guru
    It most likely is an early HJ XX7 van. I assume it is a T-bar? If it is the original body for the tags and it is a T-bar then it will be a Sandman. It'll be a special order too, most likely LSD as well. Leroy is pretty close, if it was this build configuration on a Kingswood ute well then a black with chamois trim L31 M41 2.78 LSD example hmmmm. Whilst Tuxedo black isn't rare, it was not officially available until the HX colour range was introduced around 3/76. However I do have HJ's between 10/75 and 12/75 in 2214. I think the 10/75 on cars align with a trim upgrade around the same time. This car is 8/75 hence why I think it is something special. Being TH400 as well as these boxes were very expensive, probably a huge portion of the price of the base vehicle to upgrade.

Learner Driver

Pictures?

Thanks for the replies.It does have the T-bar floor shift. Well possibly it's a Sandman, that will have me thinking whether to fit a better body or try to repair the rusty shell! Any advice? I tried to upload pictures to my profile album but cannot work it out. Rokvan

Rockvan there is a thread for how to do pictures, I had loads of trouble when I first joined as well....you need image shack or photo bucket...and they need to be small or they take up the whole page...
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Learner Driver

pictures

Thanks Jen,
    I tried image shack and photo bucket but i can,t get them back to this site.Checked out the info on this site about making albums but no luck!
    Cheers John

Thread Information