Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Point

Cruiser
    Good luck with the build. Doing a body off job is big...but the results are well worth it. I'm just coming up to 2 1/2 years on mine and it's almost finished....... luckily, because I don't think I could take much more.

Cruiser
    Always been the plan, just been too scared to begin. Got all the inspiration I need here. Looking forward to it with trepidation haha
    Just jacked the van up to stop the fuel from leaking. Took 10 litres out. Thought I might filter it and put in the HQ, poor old ute wouldn't kmow what hit it!!

Cruiser
    One piece of advice....bag and tag all the bolts, nuts and screws etc. Even if you are going to replace them as you go at least you will know what to replace them with.....and take heaps of pics before you strip it right down. I did that with mine and it was invaluable when it came to putting it back together.

Good job Dago! I'm doing the same, my body is sitting on a rolling chassis and held on by 4 finger tight bolts! Bodywork which will include a full blast and under body work will commence at the end of the month (hoping).
    The chassis will also be blasted and rebuilt - then rejoined back to the body.

Body looks super staright. Rust is minimal, good luck on the rebuild, look forward to seeing it progress. Hopefully soon I will be doing t5he same thing as you. I agree also though, bag n tag all bolts and screws and take a ton of photos!!!! Good luck and there is no need to be but also you dont have to go like a Another point Ive found is pick up a Gregory's workshop manual, they are invalueable.

Agree with bag and tag everything went you are pulling it apart ,you think that you will remember how something goes together but 6 months has an effort on memory .we found that HZ parts catalogue which was made by Holden was invaluable in out restoration it still sits beside my lounge chair in case I need to look something up

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyHZ253 View Post
    Agree with bag and tag everything went you are pulling it apart ,you think that you will remember how something goes together but 6 months has an effort on memory .we found that HZ parts catalogue which was made by Holden was invaluable in out restoration it still sits beside my lounge chair in case I need to look something up
    Couldn't agree more with Rodney. Bag and tag everything you pull off! As the wise man states, you think you will remember how everything goes back on but when it comes to doing it, you'll be very surprised. I didn't bag or tag anything when I stripped my EH and when it came to putting it back on well lets just say I needed my trusty EH reading material to re-jog my memory! Oh shame on me!

Cruiser
    Forgot to add what Rodney has already stated.....a genuine GMH parts book can be your best friend. I bought one when I got my HJ and, because I'm almost finished, it will be for sale in about 6 weeks or so.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS View Post
    Forgot to add what Rodney has already stated.....a genuine GMH parts book can be your best friend. I bought one when I got my HJ and, because I'm almost finished, it will be for sale in about 6 weeks or so.
    Mate if it's for sale, I know where you can send it I've been taking photos along the way and have a complicated old tin and jar collection with labels for mostly everything.
    Just came across a gold mine. Bloke who has collected mainly one tonners, but a few utes and vans too. Got a HX GTS steering wheel and horn button for $40. Need repair tho. Has another minus the horn button for the same price.

Cruiser
    Just an update and some wise words from an idiot who didn't think too hard.

I decided today would be the day to actually lift the shell off the chassis. Instead of waiting for mates, I figured I'd just lift it a little and put some timbers underneath so it was up and I could have a beer, happy with at least a partial job. I did this and after the last time my girlfriend came to make sure I wasn't dead or crushed, The van slipped sideways and almost got me.

What did I learn. I'm an idiot. I also nearly took the beautiful straight side panels out on the work bench.
    Lesson learned.

All is safe and well now. The van is on a silly angle but secure until I get a handful of mates around to help me straighten it up and lift properly.
    I'm 33. I've workled on and under cars for most of my life, but I'd like to take this opportunity to tell anyone who is unsure, or inexperienced to take ample care. And for those who have been there and done that to continue to take this level of care and not get slack!
    I have photos of this misadventure that I will be posting as a reminder to some and a warning to others. I was very lucky today.

On a lighter note, There were a few things I overlooked before I lifted the shell. An old gas line that was held to the body by two seperate screws caused me some grief. Also the wire that attaches the fuel sender from the tank was still there. Other than that, The body should be safely off and on stands by next week.

Thread Information