Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing the shell from the Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Dago View Post
    Excellent! As soon as the body is off and sent to the panelbeater I can start playing with the chassis. About time too. I'll put up as many pics as I can. Is there anything in particular I should be paying particular attention to when taking pics?
    And another qu while I'm on it... Should I take the tags off for safe keeping while the body is away for a substantial ammount of time? I'm a little worried as I've had quite a bit of gear go walking.
    Take note of the fuel and brake line clips, I've kept mine all in place but will try and remove before the chassis gets blasted.

The fuel filler can be a bit of a pain to remove - just need good lighting under the body and jack it up as much as you can.

Cruiser
    Fuel fillers I have handled before, though only in utes, the'll be the same I imagine? I'm going to have to start taking photos of everything I do and keeping track of what comes off and from where... I'm heading into unchartered waters now.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddy View Post
    Im surprised the tags are still on! Get em off and tucked away SAFELY and somewhere you will remember!
    This will avoid them getting stolen, damaged or painted.
    There is a thread on here somewhere about cleaning tags so check that out aswell.
    Be careful removing them, you can badly damage them or the body. Also some cars have none, one or two tags painted body colour. so in some cases you might want some back on before the paint goes on.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Be careful removing them, you can badly damage them or the body. Also some cars have none, one or two tags painted body colour. so in some cases you might want some back on before the paint goes on.
    Took alot of care and all three came off without incident. I'm certain they have never been off the body before. How would I know about the paint on them? If there ever was any. They don't show signs of being painted, ie no scratch or scuff marks, just the usual dirt/dust etc.

15062011(031).jpg
    Last edited by Dago; 15-06-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Well i know what I'm going out to do RIGHT now haha. Thanks for the advice guys.
    Stickthis on this forum can supply the correct pop rivets to put the tags back on, and they are very genuine looking...we lost one of ours the most important one whilst washing the engine bay area, thankfully someone noticed it in the truckwash bay and gave it to us... after that we took them all off and put them in a safe...

anyother piece of advice is take pictures of anything that will prove it was or is a sandman later like blackouts, or original stripes. etc. (sorry can't remember if yours is a sandman or not)

--- Updated ---

Took alot of care and all three came off without incident. I'm certain they have never been off the body before. How would I know about the paint on them? If there ever was any. They don't show signs of being painted, ie no scratch or scuff marks, just the usual dirt/dust etc.

15062011(031).jpg

they look good, and not painted...

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    what wine did you have?
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    what wine did you have?
    waddup ya mean wine? They drank Strongbow.

Sandman Guru

15062011(031).jpg
    Being a Dandenong assembled HX van it will have an Elizabeth body and hence will have all 3 x tags naked. If it was a ute the BODY plate would be painted. While they are off look on the back of the ADR plate and you'll find 4 x numbers lightly engraved into the back. This will match the last 4 x dights of the PSN ie 0451. This will tell you the ADR and VIN plates belong together.

Cruiser
    [QUOTE=jennie285;20114]anyother piece of advice is take pictures of anything that will prove it was or is a sandman later like blackouts, or original stripes. etc. (sorry can't remember if yours is a sandman or not)[COLOR="Silver"]

It is a Sandman As soon as I get my camera back i'll start with the photos. It doesn't have the original stripes but I did find remnants of the original stripes under the Falcon fuel cap and inside the doors and gaurds. Also has all the blackouts. Unfortunately The only old photos I have of it complete and running were on a film camera, but it's never too late to take more.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Being a Dandenong assembled HX van it will have an Elizabeth body and hence will have all 3 x tags naked. If it was a ute the BODY plate would be painted. While they are off look on the back of the ADR plate and you'll find 4 x numbers lightly engraved into the back. This will match the last 4 x dights of the PSN ie 0451. This will tell you the ADR and VIN plates belong together.
    I've studdied the back of the plate but I can't find an engraving... Not to say it isn't there, there is a bit of build up here and there, but if the engraving is relatively prominent in an area with no stamping, I think it's a no go :(

Sandman Guru
    No it is normally like it is scratched on with a scriber. Very feint, you have to look hard.

Cruiser
    Buy yourself a 2 pole hoist. You'll never regret it.

What height garage do you need for a 2 pole hoist, my neighbour has just bought one but his shed is massive over 4 metres high.

Thread Information