Page 74 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotto

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Those Drifters are so cool!!
    Unfortunatly not many of the 1977 Panelvan buying public thought so. I think I read under 1700 Drifter Panelvans in total were made. I prefer the look of the Ute's.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

I spotto a few nice cars around Toowoomba, but couldn't get pics as was driving, I did however spot these lovely old Golden Fleece bowsers which are still in operation, outside this dealer.

HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by hainzy View Post
    Yeah I was wondering that at the time. It didnt have the normal drifter blackouts or stripes or the big DRIFTER across the tailgate but it had a smaller drifter logo on the tailgate on the left. I was thinking it was maybe a different design ala HQ/J vs HX/Z... Was there different drifter designs or did they just have the one look?
    Drifter vans (and Valiant vans in general) were only produced for something like 12 months (between 1977-1978). I think the total van production figure is 1957)

Drifters were available with or without the stripes (will be recorded either way on the plate), but as already said, that looks like a standard van with maybe the ute style drifter stripes. Drifers had a black triangular trim panel after the front door window and extra chrome from the side rear mirror bordering a black out on top of the door (ala 770 charger) as well as colour coded bumpers.

The good thing about identifying a real drifter is all the options were listed on the plate (would have saved Sandman fans some fun if holden would have put XX7 on all plates LOL)

Sandman Guru
    If GMH did that then it would not be correct, as not all Sandmans were option code XX7!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    If GMH did that then it would not be correct, as not all Sandmans were option code XX7!
    Whoops, that does read incorrect doesn't it, poor XU3, didn't get a mention again, just like the forgotten child.

The drifter's and the sundowner's were produced very late in the van craze era, which contributes to them being very scarce. The holden's already had a three year advance on them.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Sandman Guru
    Damn confusing too! If only GMH had left the XX7 with the Sandman and made the new package XU3 rather than transferring XX7 over to the new Sandman+passenger tyres package.

IMG_0783.jpg

My son saw this at Byron Bay on the week end. retrorentals.com.au. Had a look at there web page doesn't mention anything about the van.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    IMG_0783.jpg

My son saw this at Byron Bay on the week end. retrorentals.com.au. Had a look at there web page doesn't mention anything about the van.

Our daughters flat mates went to splender at Byron bay over the weekend. They we're trying to jamb a mattress in the back of a silly little Honda two door thing. My comment was you need one of our panel vans for a Woodstock type festival or a Kombie I think it fell on deaf ears so I am glad there was a van at the music festival. Very. Appropriate
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

You can rent other vans from them. VW kombi's for about $70.00 a day. A Sandman would be worth more than a V Dub surely.

Thread Information