Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interior paints, I now have them...... ALL

They're not really confusing if you understand paint. The problem is there are so many different paint manufacturers and they all have their own codes as the tinters they use are different.

The paint shop I found uses Hitex paint, fortunately when they colour matched the old Dulon paints they mostly kept the Dulon code and just put a D in front of the code for Dulon however their tinter codes and mixing amounts are different to the Dulon ones...

If you look at the chart above Gazelle low gloss and med gloss interior is listed with all the tinter codes and amounts to be added to make Gazelle, these are Dulon tinters (now PPG) and the Hitex paint tinter codes and amounts are different. Same applies to each paint manufacturer.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Cruiser
    Sean, what other pages do you need from the paint books I have a couple of books here that have Dulux and Dulon recipes. I also have the updated codes through to the late 80's, if there are any you need pm me.

Leroy

Hope I am not rambling too much but this thread really got me thinking.

If I can't get the correct colour code I colour match by eye eg get the part get a close colour and then tint untill it's right. Explanation below

If you are using old colour code books you may have problems gettting the colour to be right. Some tinters have been obsoleted and tinter strenghts have changed dramatically (acrylic lacquer) so the colours not going to be right but it will be a good starting point or sometimes spot on. Sometimes if you are painting the whole interior it doesn't matter as you have nothing to compare it with.

Another reason why the colour might not be right is that in the factory there was always some variation in the tinting. When I worked as a Panelbeater/Spraypainter at a Ford dealership 14yrs or so years, sometimes we would have two identical cars in at the same time both new. Both the same colour until you parked them up against each other. Sometimes manufacturers also change suppliers as well.

Heres where I really got to thinking and I will have to do some more research on this one but theres a place here in WA that has what I think is called a spectrometre. It analysis the colour sample then gives the right tinters to formulate the colour, using todays tinters. If it pans out it could be the way to go providing you have agood sample.

Banned
    Yeah I agree, it may also depend on how heavy handed the paint mixer is. Holdens were far from perfectly matched to the colour charts.

I was told by local paint shop that the 3M buckskin was the right colour for the console, I sprayed a check bit on the front which looked ok, then proceeded to paint the whole thing, unfortunatley when i put it in the ute it looks to have to much black tinter, but its much lighter grey brown instead of sandy yellow, does anyone know of a pre mix can that will replicate the original buckskin on a console.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Thread Information