Thread: On blocks- advice?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On blocks- advice?

Im retiring one of my vans to the farm for a while. Its going to be undercover (carport) but i want to try and keep the condensation and moisture down to a minimum. Im not sure if i should go for a car cover with tarp over, just a car cover (might sweat less?) or just a tarp or something that i haven't thought of yet!

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed

I'd spend a day closing in the carport properly with tin, seal up every opening and make sure animals can't get in. I've been finding acorns in the engine bays of all our cars and the other day I found a dead possum with his head underneath the front wheel of my HD. I can only assume he was scared from the engine bay when I started the motor and he then hid behind the wheel. I'd only moved the car back about a foot the last time i'd started it so that the trailer could fit past.
    Found plenty of rats nests in engine bays out at the farm too.

As long as it's on a concrete slab and has a roof over it that's all you need... uless you can put some walls up...

DO NOT cover it with a car cover and especially a tarp for long periods..... I found out the hard way when I spent 4 yrs in PNG. Interior goes mouldy and your car will rust to buggery...
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    As long as it's on a concrete slab and has a roof over it that's all you need... uless you can put some walls up...

DO NOT cover it with a car cover and especially a tarp for long periods..... I found out the hard way when I spent 4 yrs in PNG. Interior goes mouldy and your car will rust to buggery...
    Does the same apply when its under a car cover parked in the shed for long periods?Excuse my ignorance... :errf:

Sandman Guru
    Breathable car cover in the shed is fine.

How far from the coast is the farm? Out west where most of my Monaros are the biggest problem is rats, cars don't rust. I have a few HK Monaros out in the weather, been like that for 10+ years, no sign of rust.

If your car is worth a lot of money and you really want the best have a look at these.

http://www.carcoon.com.au/index.html

What would be good if you could get one that was powered by solar keeping the air flow during the day.

Just keep some food for the rats near by so they don't eat it, like Ratsac

---------edit------

Pricing is not so bad
    http://www.carcoon.com.au/catalog/pr...products_id=12
    Last edited by TwoTees; 04-05-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Breathable car cover in the shed is fine.

How far from the coast is the farm? Out west where most of my Monaros are the biggest problem is rats, cars don't rust. I have a few HK Monaros out in the weather, been like that for 10+ years, no sign of rust.

its about 100 kays from the coast. can get fairly wet in winter but nice and dry otherwise. Id imagine rats would be a problem. I found heaps of rat poop around the heater box on an HZ donor that i picked up off a farm on the south coast!

Its definitely not worth carcooning it though. Its due for major rust work and and a lick of paint

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post

thanks absinth. i just needed some confirmation that it would cause bad sweating and moisture

Sandman Guru
    Go to Rentokil and buy somke of those black plastic rat bait stations. You can buy the blocks for them in bulk or in small packets but Rentokil won't sell them to you. Use a mixture of green blocks (multi-feed) and blue (one-feed kills). Green are grain based, blue are chemical (and residual) and you'll need the green to attract them, or use Toblerone pieces with the blue blocks. If you have native animals or cats around that eat the rats don't use the blue baits, use only green. If you keep bait up to these you won't have rat problems again.

Thread Information