Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much to pay for a VERY rusty HZ?

Learner Driver
    I hear you Blocker, If I go ahead with it I hope you guy's can help steer me in right the direction for the shell - I'm assuming a HZ kingswood would do it? My aim is to keep it as original as possible. thanks again

PS Third time lucky Chris?!

--- Updated ---

Got the link - I'll go read it now!

Yeah B-rock, I'm wanting to do this becouse I love the whole process. I've played around with cars a bit when younger but can't wait to do it properly this time around - and what better car to pour the hours into?

Quote Originally Posted by b-rock-05 View Post
    Well i would say do it, i am currently restoring a genuine hq sandman 6/74 308 4 speed, barbados green and the shell was rusted beyond repair,and i paid $6,200,so you could say i paid for the tags chassis and original running gear,then i bought a one owner hq belmont van for the reshell ,body in resonable shape, inside like new and paid $5,700, and im well into it and loving it, i will do most of the mechanical work myself , but will leave the bodywork and paint to the experts, i will post photos soon, so good luck,
    Good on you for being honest and I'm especially keen to see your photo's of a HQ.

Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    The body 'per say' is not the Sandman. However the wrong body can be put on a Sandman chassis.
    It's not a matter of trying to hide the fact the build has been re bodied, it is the care taken in making sure that the re body is in keeping with the original build and if asked - be honest.
    Hey blocker not being a silly bugger, but i think that alot of purists have problems with the old sandman original identification. All Holden Van bodies came off the production line exactly the same (bar WB), the only differences were the mounts for the 4 speed and the roof lining and the holes for the courtesy lights in the doors. All very easy to change/add. I'm sure that i could fake my WB into an HZ Sandman + plates with an alteration of firewall (extreme alteration) and other easier parts. I honestly think that you shouldn't get too worked up about it all, enjoy the process as you said and have fun.

P.s. I wish i spent this much time and money restoring a real sandman!

Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    Hey blocker not being a silly bugger, but i think that alot of purists have problems with the old sandman original identification. All Holden Van bodies came off the production line exactly the same (bar WB), the only differences were the mounts for the 4 speed and the roof lining and the holes for the courtesy lights in the doors. All very easy to change/add. I'm sure that i could fake my WB into an HZ Sandman + plates with an alteration of firewall (extreme alteration) and other easier parts. I honestly think that you shouldn't get too worked up about it all, enjoy the process as you said and have fun.

P.s. I wish i spent this much time and money restoring a real sandman!
    haha I think there are subtle differences in the firewall etc between models.

Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    haha I think there are subtle differences in the firewall etc between models.

Mauser
    but if you have spent enough time and money it's not a real issue. lol

I see no problem with a body shell swap as long as you use the correct model and build plant if possible... it's just another part as far as I am concerned.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

I recently picked up an HX Sandman Van that was advertised as 'rusty - suit parts'. The owner had no idea it was a genuine sandman so i bought it cheap... $1,700. Unlicensed, drives well, complete etc etc but no GTS parts at all left on it! Matching numbers although engine has been swapped. Factory 308 Turbo 400 auto, also a fairly different colour combo > Bordeaux with chamois and black interior. Has a prem front, prem dash with 9" diff. Rusty LH roof gutter, cowl, floor pans, doors, lower tailgate, rear 1/4's, ute/cab seam and lower sills have been replaced. Im looking for a shell now (without windows!) Hope this helps from a numerical perspective. Good luck!

Chris

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    All Holden Van bodies came off the production line exactly the same (bar WB), the only differences were the mounts for the 4 speed and the roof lining and the holes for the courtesy lights in the doors. All very easy to change/add. I'm sure that i could fake my WB into an HZ Sandman + plates with an alteration of firewall (extreme alteration) and other easier parts.
    That's where most attempting a rebody will fall down. All series bodies are different and they differ between body plants AND within individual series. Then you have HOLDEN and Kingswood bodies to deal with for HQ-HZ utes and HX-HZ vans. Some bodies are also unique to a chassis and cannot be replaced. I'm not going to describe where the differences are as whilst it does allow legitimate Sandmans to be kept on the road it also will allow people to build fakes from "Sandman-like" vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post

PS Third time lucky Chris?!
    Sorry. Dont know what was going on last night

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Hi everyone, I've been lurking around here for a while now and have to say I'm blown away by the passion all you guy's have for your Sandmans (Or anyone else's!)

So here's the thing: I've found what I'm pretty sure is a genuine HZ Sandman Pano, original 308, auto. Brown interior. Currently white but the original colour is Blue 567-30525.

The shell is well and truly stuffed, holes thru sides/gutters, there's more gone from the sills than there is left!

The interior is pretty good though, all original, the whole front is also usable. Original 308 that apparently runs. Original wheels.

SO: How much would you pay for it? (Assuming it is a Sandy and allowing for another shell) (I will do most of the work myself)

I'd also welcome advice on the whole Re-shell thing: Will it still be considered a genuine Sandy when done?
    Send me the ID details before yopu go any further. Auto Sandmans are VERY rare, in fact TH400 are very rare outside of vehicles where they were standard. The option cost in some cases was close to an additional 10% on the original price!

Thread Information