Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Faithful HQ Panel Van

Learner Driver

My Faithful HQ Panel Van

My van isn't a Sandman, just a stock standard Sept 74 HQ van, and I've joined your forum to gather more info about the particular model.

Shortened version of my story is:

Van purchased new in 1974.
    Traded in on another vehicle in 1984
    Set out to track the van down in Nov 2010.
    Found it in Dec 2010.
    Now own it again after 28 years.

You can find the whole story at:

http://majesticvanners.forumotion.co...self-here#9324
    http://majesticvanners.forumotion.co...l-hq-panel-van
    http://majesticvanners.forumotion.co...l-hq-panel-van
    http://majesticvanners.forumotion.co...ormation#13307

I plan to restore the van (as much as possible) to its original showroom condition, even to the extent of replacing the 202 engine that is in it currently, with a 173 which is how I purchased it.

What is proving difficult is obtaining an original pair of bucket seats for the van - I've seen a couple of one-piece backs (tombstone) which were in the early HQs, but I read somewhere that looming changes to ADRs forced GMH to offer adjustable headrests later on in the HQ production.
    These adjustable headrest versions with the painted plywood backs are the ones I'm after.
    It doesn't matter what condition the upholstery is in - I've already got a local guy lined up re-upholster them.

Cheers

Bruce

Sandman Guru
    Bruce

Great story. I'll find a 173 for you easily. I even have a genuine HQ Belmont 173 engine stashed away too that used to be in a HQ van. If you send me your ID details i'll get an engine number estimate for you too.
    Note also, M22 4spd was standard fitment to 6cyl HQ commercials, not just tonners.

Byron

Ripper! Ive got a similar storey involving a WB windowless ex-copper and a much shorter wait time of 12 years!

Learner Driver
    Thanks for the response, Byron, but I have an engine - going to pick it up in a couple of weeks time.

Another question - What should a fella pay for a total bare metal respray of the van, inside and out. I've had local estimates of $5K, $9K, and $20K.

Cheers

Bruce

Banned
    What a terrific story!

I dont know if its the great pics you took during your first ownership or the fact that not only did you track it down and buy it, the fantastic condition it was in. That van had a charmed life for sure!!!!

Unreal!

--- Updated ---

Bruce you would have to seriously consider leaving it original paint. that is a survivor van with a better history than could be made up.

Hi Bruce and welcome to mysandman.

I read through the story this arvo at work... congratulations on the find and purchase.

regarding the paint, you get what you pay for, the 5 & 9k options unless being done at mates rates are a little questionable. somewhere between 10 - 15k should be considered low for a quick bare metal respray.

your 5 and 9 k options might not include any panel repairs or the actual soda blasting to get it back to bare metal.

from the pics i saw are you sure you want to go bare metal or even respray it at all? its a pretty neat van as is

Ski man

We paid $7K for the paint, and $1700 for soda blasting, and a lot for rust repair, and panel beating, but ours was pretty bad....

Great story...I wish we could find the one we sold in 1986 but we think it went through the crusher as was written off shortly after we sold it.....

Cheers
    Jennie and Rodney
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Awesome story. Great pics over on MV as well.

I'd be tempted to leave it in original paint too. I'd also be tempted to buy another chassis, convert it to Overlander specs, whack your body on top and go retrace all those trips you did with it in the first 9 years.

Well done Bruce what a fantastic story, love the van, congrats on findng it again. There's just something about Barbados Green that makes them special.

It's my favourite Holden colour, about 5yrs ago I missed out by half n hr on buying a 74 HQ panel van in Barbados Green, I had one of my bikes painted in Barbados Green and am now restoring a Barbadaos Green 74 HQ GTS/4 I finally found. As you can tell I love the colour, lol.

Hope it all goes well for you in the next chapter of this vans wonderful life.

Cheers mate Tony

SNDMN

79 HZ Sandman XX7 Van Flamenco Red - out 'n' about cruzin'

Quote Originally Posted by barbadosGreen View Post
    What is proving difficult is obtaining an original pair of bucket seats for the van - I've seen a couple of one-piece backs (tombstone) which were in the early HQs, but I read somewhere that looming changes to ADRs forced GMH to offer adjustable headrests later on in the HQ production.
    These adjustable headrest versions with the painted plywood backs are the ones I'm after.
    It doesn't matter what condition the upholstery is in - I've already got a local guy lined up re-upholster them.

Cheers

Bruce
    Fantastic story Bruce, loved the old pics and your outback trips..... I did similar with my first car, a 173 with three on the tree and drum brakes all round HJ van. Had it on Rainbow beach, out to Lightning Ridge, up north through Ravenswood, Charters Towers and up to Cooktown. Fun times and great memories.

With your seats, early HQ seats are the same as late HQ seats minus the adjustable headrests..... the tombstone style was introduced in the HJ range.

HQ seats still come up fairly regularly on Ebay but do tend to fetch premium prices, I sold two sets just before I moved to Melbourne in November last year for over $400 per set.

This pair is currently on Ebay and would be correct for your van, just remove the sedan style rear panels and replace them with van style ply panels and get them re-trimmed.

Welcome to MySandman, plenty on here to help with your resto and look forward to following your progress.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information