Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HJ Sandman van resto

Cruiser
    There ya go.......

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS View Post
    Still not much happening...... and having the Man Flu isnt helping. A few things I've found while poking around may be of interest to some. I found a vertical crack next to the top door hinge bolt hole (The furtherst forward of the the 3) on both sides. These were ground out and then welded up.
    Also, the holes in the door jam where the scuff plates screw on were flogged out on both sides. The drivers side had actually been drilled a second time next to the original hole but a few of them had broken through and made a figure 8 shaped hole. I welded all of them up and will be redrilling them once I get the point of fitting the scuff plates.
    Just a note if you don't already know. When you find fatigue cracks, clean them up and spray white paint on them. Find the end of the crack and drill a hole in it, before welding. It stops the crack from propogating any further after welding. I've successfully repaired HQ-HZ chassis cracks this way.

Cruiser
    Mate what sort of money would you pay for a mig like that or an entry level mig good enought to carry out repair work. I imagine you also have to rent to gas bottle??

Cruiser
    The mig cost me $690.00 incl gst and has a 3 year warranty. I had to rent a bottle and buy a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by hj308 View Post
    Mate what sort of money would you pay for a mig like that or an entry level mig good enought to carry out repair work. I imagine you also have to rent to gas bottle??
    Depends on what you want to weld with it..... If you are only doing panel work then there are plenty of cheap migs around that are up to the task. I have a cheapy (around $250) that is light and easy to transport and runs fine from a standard 10 amp power socket. Great for rust repairs on panels... especially when I have to take it over to a mates place to repair their rusty projects...... no good for heavier material as they will overheat quickly on the higher amps needed and cut out....

The one GTS got is a ripper for general all purpose welding.... good for panel work as well as heavier welding jobs...

I have a bigger portable??? (bloody heavy) Mig that I use for welding steel handrails, steel house posts, awning frames ect.... the nozzel is a little large at times for some of the tighter spots to weld in car panel work but will go all day without needing a break...

With both Migs I always use gas..... can't stand using gasless wire as it spatters too much.

The best welder I have found for panel welding is the Henrob oxy torch... you can weld really thin material with it along with stainless and cast material. The Henrob is a little hexy for an oxy welder at around $600 for the kit... you then have bottle hire and gas refills on top of that.

4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

I can vouch for the Henrob setup, easy to use and saves on gas compared to conventional torches.
    Mad Max 1 Van, HJ XX7 Van

Cruiser
    It's been a while since I added to the rebuild. I've been doing a lot of small detail bits. Last night I cut out the left hand rear corner which had been hit and distorted the area where the bumper bar goes. We pulled it back out then I made a new piece to replace the corner that had been filled with about 30mm of bog.

thats always a bugger of an area to fix and thats why most are bogged up. Nice work mate.
    Mad Max 1 Van, HJ XX7 Van

Cruiser
    The wheels are done. I've got them loaded up in the ute and heading for the tyre shop this morning.

As I got them...

Sandblasted

Rubbed down

Added some silver

Then some black

Now for some tyres...............
    Last edited by GTS; 08-10-2010 at 09:58 AM.

wow they came up a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1973 HQ with HZ front. Currently waiting for its resto.
    308 for sale too

Thread Information