Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GTS Rims - bit confused with terminology

Learner Driver

GTS Rims - bit confused with terminology

Hey Guys...
    Thinking about picking up some restored GTS Wheels from Ebay. There seems to be a few sellers on there and they seem to hover in price, restored, from $800-$1500 depending.

Anyway... i'm getting confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123

I'm interested in these and this guy has said this to me:

5 centre cap in total, it has 4 billit alloy centre cap ana 1 genuine centre cap.
    5 dress rims
    5 reconditioned gts wheels

I then asked him what that all means - because really, i'm just after 4 GTS wheels for my pano? I understand the 1 genuine centre cap, so are "Billit alloy" just reproductions. Dress rims.... does that mean the "rim"???

Guys... in lamens terms... and i mean lamens terms, can anyone shed some light. I just want 4 x GTS Wheels with Holden Centre caps on my pano. Don't mind if things are aftermarket, just want the look

Regards

John

If you compare the 1st photo to the 4th photo in the add you will see the first has chrome wheel trimming. These are what they are calling "dress rims"

Banned
    The billet alloy center caps will be hand made from a billet of alloy, turned up on a lathe.

The dress rims are the stainless/chrome trim ring thet clips onto the outside of the rim. The square edged stye was original and are hard to find.

You must check that the stud holes are not elongated from running loose. They are no good if they are as you will never keep them tight. You may notice an example of this in the add but I could not possibly comment on something someone else was selling, you will have to ask the seller your self.

There are two lion emblems on the ceter caps, short tail lion for earlier HQ wheels and long tail lion for later series. There is more specific series dates for the emblems that I cant tell you exactly.
    Last edited by wbute; 30-03-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: ethics

Sandman Guru
    The really early HQ GTS centre caps were a solid cast alloy thing. I bought a NOS one of these a while back that Greg now has for his early HQ GTS. The later ones were stainless with spring clips. Rare Spares make a billet style repro.

make this reply simple..the billet caps are rare spares items and are very good and cant be stolen and dont fall off..the trim rings are aftermarket types..

$999 is very good value for money..go and buy them before someone else does.

Learner Driver
    Thanks oZbox - I think you answered my questionnin the most simplest form for memto understand!!! Thanks to all the othe posts as well, but yeah why does everything have to be so complicated/complex

Banned
    Maybe my eyes are decieving me but when I enlarge the 6th photo across (the one showing the inside of the wheel and cap) the holes look quite elongated.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by energy4anarchy View Post
    Thanks oZbox - I think you answered my questionnin the most simplest form for memto understand!!! Thanks to all the othe posts as well, but yeah why does everything have to be so complicated/complex
    Its only as complicated as you want it to be. just giving you some advice as these wheels were considered complete crap for the last 25 years and most have seen most use as trailer wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by energy4anarchy View Post
    but yeah why does everything have to be so complicated/complex
    You aint seen nothing yet. Wait until the 3 Holden encyclopedias (Byron, Greg and Jason) get going on a real discussion involving the intricacies and specifics of the HQ-HZ range. That'll make your head spin.

Learner Driver
    THanks Guys,

So WBUTE... you reckon GTS Wheels are crap? I think they'd look mint on my Pano????

Do they end up just falling apart or something???

John

I think he's talking about the photo showing the back of the centrecap. The hole in the lower left corner looks like it's worn a bit on one side. This means the wheel nut doesn't seat properly and may work it's way loose.

Thread Information