Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandman production build sheet

Sandman production build sheet

Ok, there a a lot of members on here now with Sandmans and having removed the carpet from all the Sandmans I owned back in the 80's while rust proofing them I have never found a production build sheet.

Is there anyone out there who has found one while restoring their Sandman???
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Ok, there a a lot of members on here now with Sandmans and having removed the carpet from all the Sandmans I owned back in the 80's while rust proofing them I have never found a production build sheet.

Is there anyone out there who has found one while restoring their Sandman???
    i was reading a post and ozbox mentioned that he has found production broadcast sheets in different places in HQ's... I was going to call him tomorrow and ask him all the different hidey holes that he has found them.... my car has never had the carpet out of it and all i have done is lifted the back seat but no build sheet..

so greg.... or anyone else for that matter... where are most build sheets found in early melbourne built HQ's....

cheers Al

I've been told up under the dash, under the floor coverings, tucked up in the springs of the front or rear seat and in the springs of the rear seat back rest......

I would really like to get hold of an original broadcast sheet... I ideally a Sandman one but would be very happy with a good clear one from any HQ,HJ,HX HZ.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    They are not always there. Just a lottery I guess. I've been meaning to check my Premier out, but the scuff plates looklike they've never been undone so not sure that I should!

P Plater
    Hi Absinth.
    Scott has posted a HQ 6cyl Vacationer build sheet here
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3DIjvmd2m5...28Large%29.jpg
    if you would like to look at it.
    I have a pictures of a 80369 14 11 72 vacationer build sheet, A 1980 Commodore one and I also have pictures of a 69 Adelaide built HT 6cyl sdn build sheet if you would like to see them as well.
    Cheers Paul.

it does seem to be a lottery as to wether the cars have them or not...the most common places ive found them is up under the dash pad in hq...
    problem is this was 20 years ago and i dont know what i did with any i had..:knockout:

they must be rare. i guts most of my cars out and haven't managed to find one yet..
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Im the same. I would have stripped about 20 hq-wb and never seen one.

I have found a few in VL's
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Learner Driver
    I haven't looked in my HQ yet, but when my dad opened up the rear floor of his new EH van, we found welding rod stubs, cigarette packets and butts, and what looked like a lunch wrapper!

The forward half of the rear floor area of the EH was actually double skinned - the heavy plywood load floor above and a sheetmetal subfloor below. I recollect that just behind the seat there was 9-12 inches (23-30cm) of space between the upper and lower floors.

This enabled you to cut out a portion of the load-floor behind the seat, attach a sheet of foam rubber and support it with suitable bracketry to form a seat-back about 30 cm to the rear of the (now) hole in the floor.

This enabled two additional passengers to sit on the upper (load) floor, with their feet on the subfloor below. (There were no ADRs or seatbelt requirements to worry about then!) This was how we fitted Dad, Mum and the two kids (My brother and I) in the panel van. Removing 2 bolts allowed the seat-back to be demounted and fitted back in the cutout to restore the load-floor to its original state.

Anyone else know of a similar mod being done?

Cheers

Bruce

production sheets

I haven't found any in any of the cars I've had, I know its an american thing (pontiac etc) to put them under the back seat, so I always thought it might to an urban myth that the Australian manufacturers did the same.

When Dad bought his Sandman (new) they gave him the production sheet along with whatever paperwork the dealers give you, invoice etc. He didn't have to go looking for it. So the fact that a lot of cars don't have it anymore may be that the original owner has just thrown it out.

In answer to Bruce's question, I know that there was a company that fitted a wagon fold down rear seat to fb panelvans (and other models probably) to take advantage of the footwells for rear passengers or to lay flat for the full load when needed. Except it required cutting out some of the side of the parcel floor (before the wheel hump) and some of the cross floor supports for the usual plywood.

Steve

Thread Information