Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sandman production build sheet

Ahhh-Ha!!... another Sandman only part in '74 that differs from the GTS4 parts bin. The grill, stickers and horn badge.

haha

Thanks mate.. I been wondering about that... well less masking up to paint the grill.

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 03-12-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Great work!

Good one guys. Because my ute has had GTS badges put on it, I had always wondered if the all black grille on it was correct, so guess they just swaped the badge. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    That's great - nice poster of your project as well.

What were some of the modifications you did back in the day to your first Sandman?
    I'll post a photo of what it turned into shortly. It was the 70's after all and we didn't realise what we had.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    haha get out the angle grinder and knock some windows in that and it'll be close....

Wow what an unreal looking van. Did you use the origional engine... that would be cool. :-)

Mauser
    The van is now matching numbers again.

--- Updated ---

Here is one question I have. Buickzz do you have a photo of your origional grill.

The poster of the Van I have in my avitar was recently reproduced in high-res A3 size in a magazine. It has a fully black grill. I have asked here before and Ozbox has indicated the HQ Sandman was a GTS grill with silver on the surrounds and the centre bar with the blue badge.

like this sucker...

Attachment 3532

..or the HQ GTS add like OZBox showed me.

Attachment 3533

interestingly but the HQ SS seems to have the fully blacked out grill.

Attachment 3534Attachment 3535

Just wondering .... are their grill part numbers different? ... or did the hick QLDers just grab the spray gun and give it a lick..haha

Plant differences maybe? I'm sure the teetotaler dudes in Adelaide would of gone by the book.

Mauser

ps Can we have some more photos of your restored van... it's very cool.
    The new van has the grille out of my original HQ Sandman. It is all black like an SS not a GTS grille. I will post more photos once I work out how to do it.

mw 2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    That's great - nice poster of your project as well.

What were some of the modifications you did back in the day to your first Sandman?
    Not sure if the photo uploaded.

Ohh very nice, wait til agro see's that.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

DSC03437.jpgDSC03539.jpg

Mauser,
    Interior shot plus one with my original Tail Tent on the new van. You will note I have upgraded the interior to include a/c and carpet. I must be getting old. The floor console is the original from my 1974 van. john
    Last edited by buickzz; 30-01-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Hi mate,

What I was interested in was the origional console that you have shown. I have put a link to a discussion thread where we have examined the consoles in the last HQ commercials. I notice that yours has the large opening in the centre not the solid body console that would normally be associated with the floppy seatbelts.

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ght=hq+console

Thanks for showing us that as it adds to the information we have. I assumed some plants used whatever was in their GTS/4 bin to build HQ Sandman's. I dont think in '74 there was any other vehicle with floppy seatbelts\floor console combination.

Mauser

PS You have also upgraded the scuff plates to chrome... that always looks nicer too. :-)
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

That's a really nice van @"buickzz", nothing wrong with being comfortable. I am fortunate to have had a/c since 1975, I couldn't imagine not having it.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Hi mate,

What I was interested in was the origional console that you have shown. I have put a link to a discussion thread where we have examined the consoles in the last HQ commercials. I notice that yours has the large opening in the centre not the solid body console that would normally be associated with the floppy seatbelts.

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ght=hq+console

Thanks for showing us that as it adds to the information we have. I assumed some plants used whatever was in their GTS/4 bin to build HQ Sandman's. I dont think in '74 there was any other vehicle with floppy seatbelts\floor console combination.

Mauser

PS You have also upgraded the scuff plates to chrome... that always looks nicer too. :-)

Thanks Mauser

The console is original and the seat belts were as standard. Belmonts did not have arm rests in my day.

I did put chrome sills on because I couldn't find a decent pair of standard sills (still looking). I tried to have an old set replated but that didn't work out too well.

If you look you will also notice the doors are not HQ and that is why there is no ash trays in the doors. I always had problems winding up the windows with the original van when the van got up to highway speed. The window wouldn't seat into the door frame properly. I assume that is why the changed the position of the window guide in the latter series. Problem solved.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    That's a really nice van @"buickzz", nothing wrong with being comfortable. I am fortunate to have had a/c since 1975, I couldn't imagine not having it.
    Thanks Robbo

Air didn't seem to be an issue when I was young but I wouldn't be without it now in summer up here.

Thread Information