Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HJ XU3 ute saved from the scrap heap

HJ XU3 ute saved from the scrap heap

I bought some bits from a guy that was wrecking this ute. I happened to notice the tags in a box and inquired what he was going to do with the left overs. He said that it was going to the scrap yard. Clearly he did not know what it was.
    So I thought I had better grab it and stash it away for later on.

The best thing that came from this was my eldest son, 13yo, came with me to pick it up. He always thought that Panel vans were "Gay" and that Datsun Skylines were the go. He now thinks that Sandman utes are cool and says this would be cool with a 6 cylinder 4 speed.

hmmm? Maybe!

Notice the twin tanks...

Cruiser
    What a great score.....you don't come across something like that every day.....well done

Cruiser
    Nice pickup , LSD tag on the diff, way too good to scrap, doesn't look like much rust although you can't see the cowls from the photos.

Two thumbs up from me

Nice..... Contessa gold with Chamois trim..... if you want to sell it let me know, I'd love a HJ Sandman Kingswood ute and an XU3 is something a bit different.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    Awesome find. This is the very first Acacia Ridge HJ XU3 yet recorded! And a fantastic colour combo too in Contessa Gold with Chamois/Black trim. Shame it isn't an L31 M41 combination, but one rare Sandman. Great find. Shame the tonneau holes are all filled, hope they aren't welded!

Wow. Nice find! and different!

whats the chances of that tyre placard being the original? 60A trim did they use a black glovebox???

As I have it recoded as a non sandman. HJ placard V8. Or a Sandman 14cwt HX V8.

Its a 76 build year HJ. Hmmm. I would LOVE to know if that placard is the original. Its suggesting that the 14cwt V8 HJ Sandmans didnt get the 9930173 Placard. Infact they may have got that one......

This would make sense as the HX V8 14cwt sandman used it. But so did the non sandman V8 vans and utes.

HJ placards..... very very confusing....

--- Updated ---

Im also keen to see a pic of the dealer wallet front cover if possible?
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Cruiser
    That's awesome, most of us can only dream about that happening, good to see that there is still an opportunity for the classic 'barn find' to happen.

Stickthis i'm pretty sure that black/chamios trim had the full black dash with chamios seats, door trims and headlining (maybe). I'm sure someone can set me straight.

You don't want that rusty ol' thing. I better come and relieve you of the burden, your driveway looks full enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.jones View Post
    Nice pickup , LSD tag on the diff, way too good to scrap, doesn't look like much rust although you can't see the cowls from the photos.

Two thumbs up from me
    The body does look a lot better in the photos. It has had some rust repairs but I'm not sure how they were done. The owner said he cut out sections but I think he just bogged them back in and primed over them.
    I have however, seen a lot worse being fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Awesome find. This is the very first Acacia Ridge HJ XU3 yet recorded! And a fantastic colour combo too in Contessa Gold with Chamois/Black trim. Shame it isn't an L31 M41 combination, but one rare Sandman. Great find. Shame the tonneau holes are all filled, hope they aren't welded!
    Yep! 308 turbo would have been nice. I think the holes have been welded. :-(
    I didn't realize XU3 Arcacia's were so rare. I also agree with colour/trim combo.

Quote Originally Posted by stickthis View Post
    Wow. Nice find! and different!

whats the chances of that tyre placard being the original? 60A trim did they use a black glovebox???

As I have it recoded as a non sandman. HJ placard V8. Or a Sandman 14cwt HX V8.

Its a 76 build year HJ. Hmmm. I would LOVE to know if that placard is the original. Its suggesting that the 14cwt V8 HJ Sandmans didnt get the 9930173 Placard. Infact they may have got that one......

This would make sense as the HX V8 14cwt sandman used it. But so did the non sandman V8 vans and utes.

HJ placards..... very very confusing....

--- Updated ---

Im also keen to see a pic of the dealer wallet front cover if possible?
    Not sure about the placard but I did pull the lid off before I took it out to the farm for storage and it does look like it has not been changed or played with. The ute has seen a lot of mods in its life by the looks of what I did see. Interior was custom velour. I pulled out the GTS dash (that was one of the bits I bought) but it looked original. Its also had a few colour changes in its time. Very hard to say for sure.

The wallet is just plain black, no dealer logo at all.

The owner info in the books unfortunately is blank. The service records have been filled in tho. It started life down in Victoria and had it first few services at Bayside Holden, Frankston. That could possibly where it was sold. I have a 1999 Vic rego label with QT320081 engine number, again addding to the modifications list.

hmmm interesting. What do you think Byron? Would be strange to see that placard end up on that car. Sounds like it could be right.....

Bayside Motors:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Suit-Holden-D...item5adf5c7565

Yes I would say there is a good chance thats where it was sold from.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Thread Information