Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: HQ Sandman found!!

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    They are pretty bloody good....

SHIT...Specky.....

Still if i want to go original then thats not the style im after is it??

Quote Originally Posted by will.co View Post
    SHIT...Specky.....

Still if i want to go original then thats not the style im after is it??
    That looks like silver version to me? not the greeny translucent one... anyway my ute is fitted with the greeny translucent one which I assume is original - pity lots of greeny translucent has worn off over the years. That said I don't know what the correct type is for HQ Sandman...

The correct fascia for a HQ is the chromed one with the greeny translucent paint over the top of it.

These were being made but Greg say's the guy won't be doing them anymore.... so... unless you want to buy the last one Greg has for sale at $950 you will have to by a chrome one for $385 and paint the translucent paint on it yourself.

will.co, your fascia looks to be in pretty good original cond. from the pics I saw.......
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

or buy the black ones which are refered to as natural...unless you are an anal restorer you wont pick the difference from the drivers seat unless its pointed out to you..
    they still have the nice fish scale effect but have a slight bit more shine and no green tinge.
    as for buying a silver one and putting a translucent over it im not sure how succesful that would be..
    what everyone calls silver is actually top of the line american chrome paint with a flattening base added to take off the chrome luster.
    when the translucent ones were done the translucent greeny/black was painted straight over the chrome paint and no flattening base was added.
    it was taking scott a week to paint 100 fascias in the translucent and they all had to be done in process together.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by will.co View Post
    SHIT...Specky.....
    its called fish scale or engine machine turning...the scale ratio is correct and as per original and the scale depth is to within microns of original...if you buy a rare spares console lid or gear insert for hq with fish scales you will notice that it does not match the originals..scales are too large and depth is not enough on the rares product...
    these fascias are sold by rares but not produced by rares...:Chin:

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    The correct fascia for a HQ is the chromed one with the greeny translucent paint over the top of it.

These were being made but Greg say's the guy won't be doing them anymore.... so... unless you want to buy the last one Greg has for sale at $950 you will have to by a chrome one for $385 and paint the translucent paint on it yourself.

will.co, your fascia looks to be in pretty good original cond. from the pics I saw.......
    Yeah its not too bad but is quite faded etc in many parts, i was just wondering if this one could be restored as i would prefer not to buy a new one but rather keep the original and make it restored to former glory, any thoughts/opinions

Can you link me up with a photo of the original absinth so i have soemthing to compare with??

About the best I can do is post up scans of my HQ sales brochure, Greg may have a pic of the repro fascia in translucent paint.

And this is how your console should look...

there ya go..the translucent one looks just like that depending on the angle you take the pic.the sunlight and wether you are using a flash...its too hard to take a pic that do them justice..

thanks fella's

She IS a Sandman....

Well.......

After a couple of interesting weeks going over so many things in the search of verification to prove if my van is a sandman or not due to no XX7 i am extremelly happy to say that with the asisstance of the oracle/Byron together we have worked out that...

HELL YES IT IS!!!!!!

I know that at the end of the day without the stamp im still lucky to own it but after wanting a true Sandy for so many years i just had to know the truth.

I said at the beggining of this thread that the XX7 for Acacia builts isn't the be all and end all, well it turns out once you really get into it that it isn't but at the same time it really is if you want to know for sure and not have to extend alot of time and energy having to prove it for your sake of mind and pride plus the value of you car!

When i take the car to local shows etc and promoting it to be a HQ Sandman i couldnt do it when i new in my heart that it couldnt be proven, so it came down to a matter of principles and just being persistent with research etc etc... but in saying that without the help of those with alot of knowledge i wouldnt have been able to do it.

The only way to be able to stand there with pride and say "yeah mate she's an original HQ Sandman" was to find out for sure and what if someone else knew their stuff and said "what about the XX7 mate".....now i can back up the validy with all the knowledge i have learnt from the help of the people from this one amazing website!

I can also say "Check the sticker at the back of the car mate and go to mysandman.com.au, they will help ya with any info u need"

Blocker get t-shirts sorted pls

So after finding out i got her out and polished ger within an inch of its life banged the new my Sandman sticker on the back and my photographer buddy came for a few blockies and grabbed a few sweet pics of her for me...ill post tomorrow when at work with a better internet connection...

Once again thanks Byron for your help and also for putting up with me, getting your stamp of approval was a great feeling after all the mucking around.
    Also the comments from everyone else has been just as helpful...
    Gotta save to come up for van nats next year.....

So thats it...or should i say IT IS!!!

Yes i am a happy man...
    Last edited by will.co; 18-04-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: made a mistake

Great news will.co, great to hear it worked out for you and will be interested to hear the story and see the pics....

Thread Information