Thread: HJ Deauville Blue Windowless 308 Van - needs rebuild

HJ Deauville Blue Windowless 308 Van - needs rebuild

Here is an original HJ windowless 308 van that I will be selling soon. I bought it in December 08 with intent to do full ground up rebuild as I have done before. I bought it knowing that it needed a full resto and probably could have got a better condition Sandman for similar price but was looking for a factory 308 windowless as I believe it would be worth more and factory than a 253 or one with windows etc.

I bought it from a bloke in his 50's out of Sale Victoria who told me that he was the second owner and had it for over 20 years. He also told me that it has the original 308 which I'm not sure how you can verify?

My intent was to sit on on it and fully restore (hamburger with the lot, body off chassis) when I had the money and time. However, in the mean time my wife wanted a Brougham which I'd been keeping an eye out for since we sold our HT GTS about 5 years ago. A extremely original deceased estate one owner Brougham came up in Feb 09 which we bought and is currently in the panel shop which is nearing needing some $'s so I'm reluctantantly going to have to sell the Sandman...

It's an Adelaide built L31 M21 Deauville Blue with Chamois interior. This is the 3rd Sandman that I've owned and I have always remained a Sandman enthusiast and I have no reason not to believe that it's not genuine. It has GTS wheels, dash, guards, steering wheel, 9941015 tyre placard, 2 seat capacity ADR plate, full roof lining with welded headlining strip, correct GVW reading, however doesn't presently have the courtesy lights installed - has holes but no lights. I'm not sure why or if it had them originally but they are not there now but based upon all other features and its overall originality I believe it's geniune.

The body is in need of a lot panel work. Front is good, has rust in lower doors, bottom of front guards and rear quarters, floor and tailgates. The top from seam up is good with minimal rust (surface mainly) but does have a dent in right hand side kind of on the rear pillar which will be a little tough to straighten. It has had a sideswipe down leftside which had been repaired a long time ago and was filled. It has been resprayed same colour a long time ago and has been filled in places.

Interior is pretty much stuffed other than the GTS dash which is in good nic.

I got it towed home to Geelong and drove it into the shed. It ran but was rough. Again, it needs rebuild mechanically as well. Since then, its got a flat battery and hasn't been started in over 12 months.

I have collected a few parts since buying it - a repo bottom tailgate, a top tail gate which looks good but is heavy, I reckon its full of fibreglass. It has GTS rims but I bought some polished 7 and 8" Centrelines because they are my favourites.

My thought is to pobably list on ebay with a starting price of $4,000 and see how I go. I paid $3870 for it and it owes me about $4500 with rims and tailgates.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I will let you know what I'm going to do with it. I've been holding off for as long as possible in a hope that I'll come across some money from somewhere else before the Brougham panel and paint bill comes in...

Wow chamois interior on Deauville Blue, that's interesting for me anyway.

Jeza it would be great if you could post more photos, particularly of the rough spots around the body that need attention and also of the interior. I sent you a reply to your email, you can use photobucket, imageshack or anyone of the many image hosting sites to upload and then 'link' to in your posts.

Cheers.

I'll have a crack at putting more pics on. I took a heap last week end and had resized them all but couldn't work out how to post them. From memory, the interior colour is chamois with a different shade on the dash? I did look it up but can't remember. There is another HJ van in Geelong with the same codes. I think this combo was pretty common with the 4 door HJ Monaros as I have seen a few of these in my time. I think the chamois was also common in the Windsor Blue HZ's. Here's a link to a HZ Windowless rebuild in the OLD holdens sheds
    http://gallery.oldholden.com/jbsandman7 ... 3.bmp.html
    I meet this bloke at the Van nationals in Easter last year. The van is very nice...
    Also found some pic's of my old HJ which I rebuilt but didn't finish about 10 - 12 years ago.

It was originally Mint Julip but I painted it Kermit Green in 2 pac Glasorit. The best body on a van that I had ever seen...This site has truckloads of sandman pics.

Cheers, Jeza

Jeza, could you email me some pics of the data plates, tyre placard, close up of engine bay, seats, dash, console, door trims and of damage to panels. I could be very interested depending on price and what the pics tell. I don't particularly want the rims or spare tailgates so you could sell them seperately.

your old sandman

hey jez
    it is chris with your old sandman just letting you know that is still have not started the resto and possibly wont for a while to come but when i do will send you the pics as i go if you would like i am way to busy with work and dont want to pull it apart until i have either the time or money to begin talk to you soon

Quote Originally Posted by sandman_chris View Post
    hey jez
    it is chris with your old sandman just letting you know that is still have not started the resto and possibly wont for a while to come but when i do will send you the pics as i go if you would like i am way to busy with work and dont want to pull it apart until i have either the time or money to begin talk to you soon
    Hey chris, That would be good mate. I'll look forwar to it. cheers, Jez

Jezza Did you get this from my old home town of Stratford..
    If so i nearly bought it ..
    a bit too much work for me at the time...
    I think you should be able to get $4000 for it in todays market no problem...
    good luck
    HJ XX7- L31-M21 sandman windowless
    HZ XX7- L31-M41 sandman ute
    1955 Chevy Belair
    1972 Hq Statesman original Wedgwood with black vinyl roof
    1956/9 Custom Pro street Pickup .. Blown 407 suicide doors tilt front ..
    1956 210 sedan
    1982 Wb windowless Panelvan ..
    1970 Ht Kingswood original 186

Has anyone got any full length pics of a HJ Sandman in Deauville blue?
    I know Adam took some in WA, but was wondering if there are any other pics around?
    Thanks
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Thread Information