Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive ins

P Plater

Arrow Drive ins

Hi all,

I have a dream, a rather ambitious one at that.

I would like to propose that we have a yearly event whereby members of this forum from each state flock to their nearest drive in on the same night and document the event on this site.

Imagine how great it would be to have a whole row , or rows, of sandmans at such an iconic Aussie location at the same night in multiple locations.

Of course this will take a great lot of organising to co-ordinate this event. Videos and photos of each site can be collated to cut a DVD of the occasion and video posted to you tube if we wish.

I myself loved the drive ins, for various reasons, but mostly the atmosphere and the memory of old holdens lining the bays.

..... Food for thought

http://www.drive-insdownunder.com.au/australian.htm

Cheers

Peter
    Last edited by HZ1178; 18-03-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Add link

Drive In night.

That sound's like a good idea, haven't seen anything like this for more than thirty year's.As you say it would take some organising, but not impossible, that's for sure. I am in Noosa, so the closest drive in to here would be Gympie, about forty minute's away.

Cheer's.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

we head off to the drive in movies on a regular basis in our van. Coburg is only 20 mins away. Great way to watch the pics.

Fres has done this sort of thing before, but still a good idea.
    We have a drive-in about an hour away that is still open.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    I am in Noosa, so the closest drive in to here would be Gympie, about forty minute's away.

Cheer's.
    Pine rivers on Brissy Northside for me ... would love to cruise up to Gympie as I don't think there are any drive ins left in Brissy anymore.

Imagine if you could get them to run era specific movies like Mad Max etc ...
    Last edited by SNDMN; 19-03-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spell check
    SNDMN

79 HZ Sandman XX7 Van Flamenco Red - out 'n' about cruzin'

Sandman Guru
    As AGro says Heddon Greta is still open. I only ever saw 2 x movies at the drive-in when I was driving a van (a WB): Goonies and Terminator. I do remember seeing Grease at the Skyline Drive-in in Lambton, but that would have been in the old's HQ wagon.

We drive past our old drive in site most days, which has only the little humps, and the cafeteria still there, they sold off the screen 15 or so years ago...very happy memories of the beginnings and endings of great relationships. We would love to go once again to a drive in, the closest for us would have to be the one in Wagga, let us know and we will be there, sadly the drive in night next weekend is out for us due to double booking our very hectic social life
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

P Plater

Wagga drive in

Sadly the wagga drive is now redeveloped, and is now a dodgy car and caravan yard.
    Shepparton is the closest operating drive to Wagga Wagga.

Will make some enquries
    Last edited by HZ1178; 19-03-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SNDMN View Post
    Pine rivers on Brissy Northside for me ... would love to cruise up to Gympie as I don't think there are any drive ins left in Brissy anymore.

Imagine if you could get them to run era specific movies like Mad Max etc ...
    Beenleigh drive in is still open at Yatala.

I saw Mad Max when it was first released at the Woodridge drive in... all three in fact and saw Terminator there as well. Also used to frequent the Skyline drive in at Coopers Plains and the Capalaba twin drive in.

Mostly watched from the back of a panelvan, very fond memories there... particularly if the first movie was crap...(which it usually was)

Went to the Skyline for an all night movie marathon with a mate and two girls in the back of my HJ Sandman, 5 movies and the first one was Running on empty... started raining part way through the second movie and got so heavy we had to shut the tailgates.... with four people in the car the windows fogged up so we had to find other things to amuse us.... that was a great night.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Beenleigh drive in is still open at Yatala.

I saw Mad Max when it was first released at the Woodridge drive in... all three in fact and saw Terminator there as well. Also used to frequent the Skyline drive in at Coopers Plains and the Capalaba twin drive in.

Mostly watched from the back of a panelvan, very fond memories there... particularly if the first movie was crap...(which it usually was)

Went to the Skyline for an all night movie marathon with a mate and two girls in the back of my HJ Sandman, 5 movies and the first one was Running on empty... started raining part way through the second movie and got so heavy we had to shut the tailgates.... with four people in the car the windows fogged up so we had to find other things to amuse us.... that was a great night.
    You are a tart Sean....but we all did it, and we all fitted in the back and the first movie was always crap so that was how you got to know each other......
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Thread Information