Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NOS Tonneau Cover

Banned
    None like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very interesting. hmmmm. It looks like I will need to find out more before we start doing them.

Getting them to cost $50 each I don't think is achievable either. So if they are done right and are period correct do we think that they will be worth the $150-$200 mark? If not the only choice would be to get them made in china. I would rather avoid that as nothing I do is overseas made.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Banned
    I reckon $200 would be pretty reasonable. I would put my name down for two if they are correct. Whats correct though? Robbo, what was on yours?

I know that one i have pictured is correct for WB as a mate of mine bought one new and said its the same as the one on his.

Hi all,
    My ute is an 07 VZ commodore, not a hz or wb. I have an original cover on it,and it is good quality. The question I had has been answered.

However regarding the sandman ute's and tonneau cover's, my hz had a cover fitted as standard equipment.I know this as I bought it new, and I can still recall the discussion's with the salesman. All the ute's came with a tonneau cover fitted.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Sandman Guru
    No they didn't. Quite clear in the ordering procedures. Dealers may have put them with the cars, but all the info I has says only Kingswood got them as standard.

I have contacted the owner of the sandman ute at the meuseum at Echuca Vic. Im considering a road trip there just to have a look. (its 500km away) If anyone from adel area fancy's a drive at some stage let me know lol.

Just trying to find out from the owner if its the original tarp or not...

May be so Byron, but when I bought mine I went through all the specific's of the vehicle with the salesman, as you do. I asked about said tonneau cover, as my father had bought a new hj kingswood ute and he had one, and was told they came fitted with them. So I figured that was great,as they should have had them anyway being the top of the range ute.

Nowhere on my invoice is a tonneau cover mentioned, only sandman.The only extra listed are the mud flap's I ordered. So unless they were giving away free tonneau cover's I would assume what I was told at that time was correct.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

I have the original tonneau cover off my dads 79 HZ ute, so i could get some pictures of this one if anyone wants, thats if i can find it

Yes please do.

Do you know 100% for sure its original? If so how do you know?

Reason I ask is I need to besure we are looking at "genuine" ones not aftermarket. =)

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    May be so Byron, but when I bought mine I went through all the specific's of the vehicle with the salesman, as you do. I asked about said tonneau cover, as my father had bought a new hj kingswood ute and he had one, and was told they came fitted with them. So I figured that was great,as they should have had them anyway being the top of the range ute.

Nowhere on my invoice is a tonneau cover mentioned, only sandman.The only extra listed are the mud flap's I ordered. So unless they were giving away free tonneau cover's I would assume what I was told at that time was correct.
    I was actually thinking further about yours after I typed up the reply, wondering if you ordered it or bought it off the yard. What you've said makes me wonder how they did it. On the options chart for HOLDEN, E93 is listed as A against Holden utility (meaning accessory I think). Standard stuff is listed as S (sometimes B for base), this is how E93 is shown on the Kingswood page. All other items optional on Holden that are standard on Sandman like bucket seats say "part of XU3, XX7". When you go to the special packages pages and also features manual, all the component options (items like XS6 buckets, B47 comfort package, M20 4spd etc) and the feature changes (blackouts, GTS nose panel, grille etc) that make up XU3 or XX7 are listed. There is no mention of E93 lash on tonneau cover.

HJ does it similarly except XX7 is shown by itself on the options chart and on the Kingswood page the Kingswood ute has a B (base) against tonneau and the Kingswood XX7 is blank meaning it was optional. This is reflected somewhat on the HJ utility sales brochure where it says tonneau standard on Kingswood, optional on Holden. I couldn't find any mention of the tonneau (standard or optional) on HZ Sandman brochure.

So I wonder how it worked? Maybe dealers just gave extra ones away that people didn't take with a Kingswood ute that was fitted with a camper or canopy?

I did note a mistake on the HZ Sandman brochure though. Last page, second last sentence.

Thread Information