Thread: Can anyone recommend a good book?

Can anyone recommend a good book?

Hi all!

Before I start stripping my HZ ute I would like to get a good reference book with plenty of colour photos so I can check what is original on my ute and what's not. I see that Pitstop Bookshop has "Holden the Classic Models" but that is in Perth and I'm not sure that Melbourne still has something like the old "Technical Bookshop", so I can't have a squiz at it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they think is a good book (or books) please?

For example, when I bought my HZ ute in 1990, the tray was (I think) speckle paint. The air cleaner is a round chrome job (308 engine) and there was a chrome protector plate thingy near the bonnet striker rather than a fan shroud. These are just a few things I want to get right when I do the resto.

Other things I'm unsure about include the GTS dash/wheel, fascia with 4 vents, black steering column shroud and indicator stalk, light switches in the door jambs and chrome trim on the body around the doors (which fits on clips which are connected to the body with metal fixture thingys rather than (say) rivets) etc etc. As the ute has a twin headlight front and GTS guards, I suspect it was played with substantially during the 80's, which is what was done back then. However, as I said, I would like to check what's original and what's not ... All I really know is that she's a 2/78 Kingswood ute, originally 4.2/M20, was 5.0/M21 by the time I got her, Madeira red and chamois vinyl interior.

PS: Photos in the gallery if anyone's interested ...

All comments will be gratefully appreciated! Many thanks, Nige

Banned
    It should have vertical stainless trims behind the doors which are held on with pins that are not rivets.
    The air filter should be black with 4.2 Litre decal with writing in red.
    it would have had the 4 vent dash pad for forced air ventilation. the dash could have been either kingswood or GTS yellow needle, you will be right either way.
    The best place to look for pics is to ask here and they will magically appear, or usually do.
    That trim around the doors is stateman and not kingswood stuff as you probably already know.
    Last edited by wbute; 03-03-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Sandman Guru
    The best book for you is a HZ Parts catalogue. Keep your eye on Ebay, you'll pay around $200-$250. And then ask here how to translate it.

Thanks guys! WB ute, the vertical stainless strips are held on by pins. It has the 4 vent dash with gts yellow needle instruments. Is that normal for a kingswood, or has someone simply planted GTS bits into it? Byron, thanks also.

Cheers, Nige.

Banned
    Either or for kingswood. Depends what the buyer ordered. So yellow needle with black facia with the RTS badge is correct or plain kingswood dash is standard.
    Sounds like the stainless strips are held on correctly. Dont loose them as they are as rare as rocking horse $%^&.

Thanks again. That's all good to hear ... Cheers, Nige

Just to put in a comment about the shop, I use pitshop bookstop oftern and cant fault how quickly they get books to me in adelaide.

Just so you are aware the HZ parts book it in two sections. Illustrations and Text. Make sure you have both as you will need both.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Thread Information