Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of a Respray..

Yep half the reason why I drove up to Wogga Wogga to get mine. Good price for an unbelievable original quality HJ Sandman. Orignal paint, no rust, no dents! Heck the stripes are even in bloody good condition, not to mention the inside and under the hood! I guess thats what happens when the owner throws it under wraps since the 90's. Can't be happier with my purchase. Going to make the restoration easy easy easy!

I agree with HK. Don't jump into something. Wait till the right buy comes along. It will come!

if its an honest, original paint job that usually means it is what u see, not been 'done' up, its just honest and clean. the fridge magnet trick is a good one too. paint can hide things, but it can also reveal a lot of secrets
    1973 HQ with HZ front. Currently waiting for its resto.
    308 for sale too

Hi, don't know if i can add too much to this already.
    But I would wait to find an original van in original paint. even if the paint is thin and there is light surface rust it'll be fine. all the best panels that i have got for my van were completely original (sandblast, etch, re dolly tiny imperfections, prime) oh so quick to fix.

I would NOT buy a van if there was rust in the gutters or the body seam where the van meets ute bit (this is scary expensive rust). These areas are quite complicated and very time consuming to repair correctly. If you do repair these areas the inside needs as much attention as the outer skin as you don't want it to rust out again.

if you are not fussed with model, go WB (in my opinion) as they will be cheaper and are "newer" therefore less time to rust/deteriorate. It is also quite cheap to find a standard HJ-HZ front end.

If you are dead keen for a windowless van buy a windowless van, don't attempt to patch a windowed van. I have never seen one in the flesh that has been done properly.
    I'm assuming to do one properly you would have to spend a lot of time or money to get a good result.

I purchased a "rust free" van as an uncompleted project which the previous owner had spent 10k plus in body work.... In the end the van was completely bare metaled to start all over again.

I have been through 6 cars in total now to get the right parts (very cheaply, but have spent so much time) and countless extra hanging panels.

If i were to do it again i would save like mad and spend the money on a really nice original van then start saving for the repaint. In the end it will be so much cheaper.

All of this info is only based on my experiences. people i would love to hear some feedback on my ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    You can usually tell a "goodun" for some vehicles ie good the body is, normally when they have original paint or very old paint. Hard to explain in words, but you can. Just like how you use your hands to feel that a panel is straight when you are file finishing it. Not sure how many here understand what i'm talking about, I know Greg will. I know I can walk up to an old Holden or Torana and just know that it has a good original body, but it has to be old or original paint. This is why I say don't buy pretty or shiny old cars. Always buy the ones with faded and over-polished paint. Look past the bling at the core of the vehicle. Like our mums always told us to do with people, and we still dated the local bimbo (or at least had a crack!).
    Just what I was going to say. This is one time where you will be happy to see faded oxidized paint.

Quote Originally Posted by rcknrlla View Post
    Yep half the reason why I drove up to Wogga Wogga to get mine. Good price for an unbelievable original quality HJ Sandman. Orignal paint, no rust, no dents! Heck the stripes are even in bloody good condition, not to mention the inside and under the hood! I guess thats what happens when the owner throws it under wraps since the 90's. Can't be happier with my purchase. Going to make the restoration easy easy easy!
    Wagga Wagga, is the place to find ridgy didge no rust original unmolested sandmans then it seems....that is where we bought Red van from....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

this is what byrons talking about..bar the couple of pink primer spots this van is a super original body with nothing being hidden...http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=927

I went and had a good look over this one. Looked great.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

wow im just overwhelmed with the quality of the replies on here.. Thanks for all the info.. I guess as you said its safiest to wait for something than to go buy say the HZ with the paint bubbles not knowing whats underneath.. I guess i'll have to just wait for the right one to come up.. But if any of you hear or see anything great lemmy know... ohh and the fridge magnet idea... Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    Wagga Wagga, is the place to find ridgy didge no rust original unmolested sandmans then it seems....that is where we bought Red van from....
    Oh really Jen. I reckon from the sounds of it, there wouldn't be any more Sandmans left in Wogga Wogga anymore :P.

Go us sandman.com.au vultures

Thread Information