Thread: 38J Trim Code for HQ Ute

38J Trim Code for HQ Ute

Can anyone shed some light on the correct door trims for the HQ ute I have purchased. It is 38J which I know is Doeskin/Black Vinyl combination. All my research on the net has only come up with the Monaro 4 door trim which has the carpet on the bottom (which I like very much). Was there a plain Kingswood 38J trim?

Holdspares in Adelaide were good enough to photocopy the trim page for me so I know the correct combination. It is Black dash pad, black painted glovebox etc, black console and carpet with Doeskin seats, door trim and headliner, overall a combination I like very much. The gentleman said to me that the parts book listed Monaro trims under Kingswoods as 4 Door Monaros were a Kingswood based body.

What Arm rests would have come with this combination, I am assuming they would have been the short ones?

Sandman Guru
    OK, looked at the research I have.

38J (Doeskin/Black) is the same as 38E (Doeskin) on a Kingswood except it gets the following bits in black instead of Chestnut:

Turn signal knob;
    Floor mat (and I assume carpet would be black instead of Chestnut if optioned);
    Instrument pad;
    Cowl side trim;
    And I assume the steering column cover (and on a non-GTS the steering wheel is black too).

So the door trims, seats everything else stays Doeskin and the bits that would be Chestnut in 38E become Black in 38J.

Armrests are Kingswood/GTS style. Premier, Statesman, Deville and LS got the long armrests.

Not sure on glovebox as it is a painted item, not trimmed. HJ and HX 60A (Chamois/Black) will give a clue though, in HJ 60A has a black glovebox and lower fascia ends so it is quite likely 38J has also a black painted glovebox.
    Last edited by HK1837; 10-02-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    OK, looked at the research I have.

38J (Doeskin/Black) is the same as 38E (Doeskin) on a Kingswood except it gets the following bits in black instead of Chestnut:

Turn signal knob;
    Floor mat (and I assume carpet would be black instead of Chestnut if optioned);
    Instrument pad;
    Cowl side trim;
    And I assume the steering column cover (and on a non-GTS the steering wheel is black too).

So the door trims, seats everything else stays Doeskin and the bits that would be Chestnut in 38E become Black in 38J.

Armrests are Kingswood/GTS style. Premier, Statesman, Deville and LS got the long armrests.

Not sure on glovebox as it is a painted item, not trimmed. HJ and HX 60A (Chamois/Black) will give a clue though, in HJ 60A has a black glovebox and lower fascia ends so it is quite likely 38J has also a black painted glovebox.
    Thanks, your comments match exactly the parts book details I have. Glovebox will be black. Just need to confirm what the door trim should look like. I have found a 38J on the Winner product line with the carpet insert on the bottom. Would that be correct?

This is HQ Kingswood door trims. No carpet.

Last edited by Absinth; 11-02-2011 at 12:44 AM.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    You want 38E door trims. 38J are the same.

Thank you very much.

Thread Information