Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Spares

while $600 sounds a lot for a cowl panel I would have no problem paying that for a good quality accurate reproduction as it is one of the most commonly rusted out panels on HQ-WB. If the cowl is badly rusted then 90% of the time the plenum is also rusted and the easiest way to repair the plenum is to remove the cowl panel. How many people repair the rusted cowl ends only to find their newly restored car leaks onto their feet when it rains?

Banned
    I agree $600 would be a fair price if it was exactly right.

Sandman Guru
    I also forgot to mention that you they would have to get a huge quantity made, and then sell those with sufficient profit just to cover the tooling cost. RSP won't be doing it themselves from what they told me. However it isn't out of the question that the mob in Korea doing the HK guards and Camaro bodyshells won't.

Mr. Rare Spares

Hq hj cowl panel

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I think it was to get Ford and GMH Forum admins and knowledgeable forum people together to show them the Company's direction. Rares cops a pounding. Sometimes fair, sometimes not (one example is some idiot trying to fit door rubbers back to front and slagging off the product online). What they want is ALL feedback if possible, so they want us to send them legitimate complaints with a product's fit or finish plus also to correct wrong info. For example if someone here started bitching about the quality of a badge they bought 5 years ago, and that badge has been rectified so it now fits, I would tell them that they should contact Rares and get a new one (in this case they'd probably exchange the product). Or alternatively, if someone was asking why a certain other piece won't fit and it is because there is a problem with it, I could give them direct contact details for someone in head office that could help them.
    In the end I think they realise they have failed us in a lot of areas in the past, and they are trying to improve not only their image (which obviously is important to them) but to get the word out there that the quality of the products are improving (which is the of primary importance to all of us).
    I have no issue praising their good stuff, but I also have no dramas stating what is poor. From what I saw any poor products are slated for either improvement or removal from sale altogether, two such examples which have been removed and will never return are HQ and HJ complete cowl panels and rust repair sections for HK-HG guards. I asked specifically about the cowl sections for HQ and HJ-WB. It has been investigated, tooling costs exceed $100,000 (from memory it may have been $500,000). Cost per item would have to be over $600 each to be even considered. Sort of gives you a better perspective (it did for me anyway!).
    The HQ & HJ cowl panels will be remade, retail will be between $350.00 & $400.00 about 6-9 months away (I hope).

Sandman Guru
    There you go. Funny Les how circumstances can change in a month! Good to see an important part to all of us being reproduced properly.

I might be one of the first in line... that time frame looks good for my project.

Welcome Les.

les,will that be the same size cowl you sold before or will it be as per original?...goes from firewall and up under the screen and to the dash pad..
    the reason i ask is that i always get people asking for full cut sections second hand because the rust is down in the corners where the tags sit and up under the screens where the actual dash metal is..what you made before did not cover these areas.

Just thought I would post this up.

I have been chatting to RSP about GTS dash gauge parts.
    These being:
    Clock adjust knob and screw.
    Clock bezzle. (black ring behind the lense)
    Clock Lense
    Tacho/Speedo housing
    Cluster Housing.

Clock lense I sent samples a while back and they have done and its great.
    Clock bezzle I recieved the end samples. They look and fit great also.
    Clock adjust knob. Recieved first samples and things appear to be getting there with that one.
    Tacho/Speedo recieved first sample and fits and looks great (even though its not a finished sample and just a rough finish for test fitting.) Photo below.
    Cluster housing I just mentioned to RSP the other day. So will be good to see if they can help with that one also.

Yes the KM on the speedo is original. Its from my HZ GTS. Happens when its only been on the road for a max of 12 years of its life. =)
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Mr. Rare Spares

HQ Cowl

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    les,will that be the same size cowl you sold before or will it be as per original?...goes from firewall and up under the screen and to the dash pad..
    the reason i ask is that i always get people asking for full cut sections second hand because the rust is down in the corners where the tags sit and up under the screens where the actual dash metal is..what you made before did not cover these areas.
    I would say yes but I will double check

I agree with Greg there Les. Would be great to be able to just replace the lot. Saves many alignment and neatness issues also. But would require a fair bit more work in the pressing dies etc. Also the vents/cutouts for the air vents etc.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Thread Information