Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hq sandman sold

to expand on my post above re the value restored..
    when i first purchased the van back in 2000 i was actually going to put a pontiac 455 motor and muncie in it and paint it standard but the correct restoration fad had already started..
    in 2002 i had a good talk with the manager then of nrma vintage and veteran and he speculated that if the restoration market for these cars kept growing by 2010 this van could be worth insuring for upwards of 50k after restoration...
    as a rolling body shell with 2 doors and 2 gaurds and with the tags still attached and kept in a locked container and no other parts whatsoever it was valued and insured at 12k many years ago..thats what shannons considered the body and tags only to be worth.
    because i never kept the car and its parts together there was no need to insure it for more..
    i believe once this restoration is complete it will be valued and insured closer to 75k and i will let you all know when that happens..

Banned
    Hmm, that is quite likely right Greg. A cool van it will be but in a way it will be sad for it to be stuck in a museum. Its where it should be though. Hope it is able to be looked at when done.
    Last edited by wbute; 24-01-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo

Price is always dictated by demand v supply. Sandmans are just not demanded as much as say monaros and GTs (present forum community excluded of course).

I can't see a Sandman getting those sort of dollars regardless of the quality of the resto or the dollars spent on NOS parts etc.

I had huge trouble getting more than 30k insurance for our van. It cost a bit more than that to restore and I didn't use a single NOS part.

Build it for the love not the dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by HZSandman View Post
    Price is always dictated by demand v supply. Sandmans are just not demanded as much as say monaros and GTs (present forum community excluded of course).

I can't see a Sandman getting those sort of dollars regardless of the quality of the resto or the dollars spent on NOS parts etc.

I had huge trouble getting more than 30k insurance for our van. It cost a bit more than that to restore and I didn't use a single NOS part.

Build it for the love not the dollars.
    ian,i still own a hq gts350 coupe which is insured for 85k grandpa car and an hq ls350 coupe..insured for less than i sold the sandman and its all there just needs a body/trim resto..trust me... the market on monaros isnt as good as you may think it is at the moment.both my coupes are for sale and not moving.

30k on insurance on a 253 hz sandman is around the money regardless of what you spent..hz 253 sandman vans are very common.
    nos and restoration costs have little to do with the values being spoken of here..its the rarity..
    as for building for love and not the dollars...love is always blind..:errf:
    Last edited by ozbox; 24-01-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Sandman Guru
    Here are the 1878 (Chrome Yellow) Sandmans I have recorded:

7 x vans.
    1 x ute.

Breakup:

3 x 270 1878-30B, L31 M21
    2 x 270 1878-30B, L32 M20
    1 x 270 1878-39B, L31 M21
    1 x 270 1878-39B, L32 M20
    1 x 480 1878-39E, L31 M21

So including the ex-Greg van I have 3 x identical spec vans recorded, and 5 x in brochure spec (as we don't know what running gear the brochure van had).

As for the Barbados Green brochure ute, I have this:

1 x 480 1877-30E, L31 (box unknown) - this is the brocure ute spec AFAIK
    1 x 280 1877-30B, L31 M21
    4 x 270 1877-30B, L32 M20

In my opinion the HQ Kingswood XX7 in L31 spec is the one to have, and that brochure spec car is the gun, fighting out for "big dog" status with Greg's van. Either way they'd be both worth having! I'd still rather a 1974 HJ Kingswood XX7 in L31 M41 but that is just me!

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    30k on insurance on a 253 hz sandman is around the money regardless of what you spent..hz 253 sandman vans are very common.
    nos and restoration costs have little to do with the values being spoken of here..its the rarity..
    as for building for love and not the dollars...love is always blind..:errf:
    Agree

Blondes are common in sweeden, doesn't make me want one or two any less.

Blocker: lets do a poll...Fav model Sandman to have if you could have only one. HQute, HQ van, HJ ute, HJ van etc.

Then versus which one we own. I reckon we are all biased to our own as Greg says.

Would be interesting.

ian,i dont think there is a need for a poll unless you break it into 2 lots..rare and collectible and pretty and desirable..
    personally i think hz sandman would win hands down in a poll as most desirable in looks in the pretty category.
    rare and collectible would be hq...

Thanks for the info Byron. I guess that page of yours will get updated when you have collected all your info.

Mauser

Sandman Guru
    Not going to update the page anymore, I have to add words to that affect at the top. ALl new info is being written into book chapters. Haven't done much lately.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    ALL new info is being written into book chapters. Haven't done much lately.
    Not good enough Byron.... get your finger out, we are all waiting with baited breath for the new Complete book of Sandmans.....:lol:
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information