Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Mooks HQ, HJ, HX, HZ, WB Sandman Mockup

Banned
    They will re-sleeve with stainless so you dont have issues in the future. They may already have been done of course.

I bought one of those ultrasonic cleaners from Jaycar for cleaning speedo part.... bloody useless and went back to cleaning by hand with petrol and a toothbrush.

Mook, I don't know how close you want to replicate a HJ Sandman.... HJ didn't have the blackouts around the door window frame and you also need to black out the bottom front of the guards and across the valance (bottom of nosecone)... I assume the beaver panel is blacked out?

I prefer the look of the blacked out door window frame.....

Goint to look great when it's finished...
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

when it comes to alloy girlock calipers grab yourself spares to steel the pins from as the smaller pins are a problem so people are changing them to the larger ones..

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    I bought one of those ultrasonic cleaners from Jaycar for cleaning speedo part.... bloody useless and went back to cleaning by hand with petrol and a toothbrush.

Mook, I don't know how close you want to replicate a HJ Sandman.... HJ didn't have the blackouts around the door window frame and you also need to black out the bottom front of the guards and across the valance (bottom of nosecone)... I assume the beaver panel is blacked out?

I prefer the look of the blacked out door window frame.....

Goint to look great when it's finished...
    Cheers Absinth, not really trying to make it look too much like an HJ, just trying a few different ideas out. I'm thinking that I may add a GTS front spoiler later and have that green. I think that i need to have the black around the doors to break up all that green.
    Very bright to look at.

Jaycar cleaner is usless, I tried a few different solutions last night. I agree, back to the old fashioned way I think.

I just got a quote for the brakes from power brakes, prices seem good.

Does anyone have a NOS HJ Grill?

We have a HJ grille with a couple of stone dents in the chrome, but the grille is okay....will take a pic if you wish, and can give it to blocker to take back to SA, he would look cool carrying a grille on the plane...lol.....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Just looking for some advice on headlights.
    I have purchased some Halogen headlights which accept H1 & H4 style globes.
    Just wondering what colour temp would be appropriate 3000k or 3300k? Any thoughts?
    Does anyone know what colour temp the original globes would have been.

being a fully trained lighting guy, you can trust this advice.

sealed beam headlights when new are about 3000 Kelvin, but they dull off after age to be around the 2600K mark. if you also have the halogen high beams then you can convert to whatever globes you want across all your lights and generally even get close to matching parking globes too.

in order to stray from your question and go technical for a moment, the bluer (or 'whiter' as the auto industry suggests) the globe is then the less bright it actually becomes. light output isnt measured in colour tempature this is simply a perception that a whiter tone must be 'brighter'. this notion is simply sales BS that is far from correct - especially with filament based globes.

in order to make a globe bright white they take a standard white globe ~3000K colour temp and apply a blue filter to tint the light output, in doing so they limit the amount of lumens the globe itself produces. this lumens figure is the actual brightness of the globe. to put it in simpler terms, the colour temp value (or brightness) is literally a figure for the tone of the colour, but for illumination distance and overall brightness its the lumen value thats important

have a look at http://www.narva.com.au/products/bro...ormance-globes and they have a little graph that indicates colour temp against lumen output for their globes. the thing to note is how their 'brightest' blue globe is actually the least bright in lumens. this is because the blue filter is cutting out the majority of the red and green spectrum from the natural white light.

I currently have standard 3000k 50w globes in my van (H4 outers and H1? inners) these are fair brighter tha the old sealed ones i used to have.

skiman

Quote Originally Posted by the ski man View Post
    being a fully trained lighting guy, you can trust this advice.

sealed beam headlights when new are about 3000 Kelvin, but they dull off after age to be around the 2600K mark. if you also have the halogen high beams then you can convert to whatever globes you want across all your lights and generally even get close to matching parking globes too.

in order to stray from your question and go technical for a moment, the bluer (or 'whiter' as the auto industry suggests) the globe is then the less bright it actually becomes. light output isnt measured in colour tempature this is simply a perception that a whiter tone must be 'brighter'. this notion is simply sales BS that is far from correct - especially with filament based globes.

in order to make a globe bright white they take a standard white globe ~3000K colour temp and apply a blue filter to tint the light output, in doing so they limit the amount of lumens the globe itself produces. this lumens figure is the actual brightness of the globe. to put it in simpler terms, the colour temp value (or brightness) is literally a figure for the tone of the colour, but for illumination distance and overall brightness its the lumen value thats important

have a look at http://www.narva.com.au/products/bro...ormance-globes and they have a little graph that indicates colour temp against lumen output for their globes. the thing to note is how their 'brightest' blue globe is actually the least bright in lumens. this is because the blue filter is cutting out the majority of the red and green spectrum from the natural white light.

I currently have standard 3000k 50w globes in my van (H4 outers and H1? inners) these are fair brighter tha the old sealed ones i used to have.

skiman
    Hey Ski Man,
    It sound like you know your stuff here. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Xenon upgrades. I have heard they are good but not perhaps legal. Draw lower current so no excessive load on the old wiring.
    What do you think?

Cheers, Chris

xneon are not legal unless:

You have projector headlights
    Self Leveling Rear Suspension
    Wiper on your headlights.

So no they are not legal.

I had them in my VT Senator before the emu I hit smashed them. They are not cheap. About $400-$500 for a decent set. Chinease ones dont waste your money!
    I had 6000k. So legal. Only thing I didnt have was wipers on the headlights.

Xneon are great. But there is also some brilliant globs on the market these days so xneon are not that much better anymore that a top of the range globe.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

I used to have 100/140 in the outers and 150W on the inners.
    Now only have 90/130 in the outers.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Thread Information