Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Mooks HQ, HJ, HX, HZ, WB Sandman Mockup

This will probably upset a LOT of people, but i prefer standard exhaust manifolds over extractors.
    Easy to access,
    Easy to work around,
    I didn't notice ANY advantage extractors had over the standard manifolds. I don't drive at 4500 to 6000rpm i prefer torque, so i lost low down performance and fuel economy by going extractors and bigger system, compared to standard manifold & exhaust system.
    Also you MAY have problems with (factory style) column shift linkages hitting the extractors.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

It's a rockin'
    Quote Originally Posted by agr071 View Post
    This will probably upset a LOT of people, but i prefer standard exhaust manifolds over extractors.
    Easy to access,
    Easy to work around,
    I didn't notice ANY advantage extractors had over the standard manifolds. I don't drive at 4500 to 6000rpm i prefer torque, so i lost low down performance and fuel economy by going extractors and bigger system, compared to standard manifold & exhaust system.
    Also you MAY have problems with (factory style) column shift linkages hitting the extractors.
    standard manifolds ceramic coated i hate extractors with a passion

Hi Guys I have been going through all my bits and been getting ready to put the column shift linkages in to suit the trans, ill keep you posted on how it goes.

I have been looking at distributors for a while now and from advice from member on here and reading on other forums I'm going with a BOSCH HEI...

So this is the Distributor and control module that I have pulled off a 253.

as you can see its all quite filthy and condition is unknown.
    What should I do with this? only so much i can do with de greaser.

one thing that I could find with the distributor code was that it was for an HX 253 (which matches up with what it was off) but im quite sure HX wasn't HEI
    Cheers in advance.

I have found this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GMH-HX-25...-/261121168235
    so I'm assuming that this distributor has been converted using an optical pickup? or has the case been changed at some stage.

BTW I know nothing about distributors and engines, everything i know has been from the internet (dangerous i know!)

Looks a bit like a VL carbied distributor?

VN is different again as it has a two pin (two versions, one rectangular - the other more oval) connector on the side.

The box you have is the module. Carry a spare as they are well known for leaving cars stranded, or maybe a better idea, use that dizzy to operate a 6AL MSD or similar... Mega reliable set-up.

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

This may help...

Not sure what bits are from what but you're probably right, it is possibly a modded HX dizzy with a later module.

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Cheers Dave,
    I'm Thinking that ill I try to find a new cap and rotor as well as a rebuild kit for it. Just trying to work out what model they are from, or what will be appropriate to use.
    I found a great walk though on rebuilding distributors. One thing that I have found out is that the ignition curve is different from a 253 to a 308, im assuming that this is controlled by the control module (the finned box). Is there anything that would need to be changed in the distributor to suit the 308?

From what i have read the 6AL is a great unit, but i have also found these.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Co...item1e75fa0684
    worth bothering with, or too backyard?

this is the current plug set up..

Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    Cheers Dave,
    I'm Thinking that ill I try to find a new cap and rotor as well as a rebuild kit for it. Just trying to work out what model they are from, or what will be appropriate to use.
    I found a great walk though on rebuilding distributors. One thing that I have found out is that the ignition curve is different from a 253 to a 308, im assuming that this is controlled by the control module (the finned box). Is there anything that would need to be changed in the distributor to suit the 308?

From what i have read the 6AL is a great unit, but i have also found these.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Co...item1e75fa0684
    worth bothering with, or too backyard?

this is the current plug set up..
    Dunno, but if he is prepared to warrant the module for over two years that is saying something. I like the blurb on the "burnout special" module. He is right though, if you don't look after the rest of the ignition system, they can (and do) cause early module failure.

Your dizzy. Ford were using that type of Hall Effect sensors on their distributors while Holden went the magnetic pick-up type with the module on the side of the dizzy body on the blue motors. From memory VN was the (or maybe Walkinshaw) was the first Hall effect V8 Holden dizzy used in roadcars...

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by Taily; 02-01-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Banned
    Get one from a blue motor. Tried and proven. They have the bigger cap and module on the side. You need the coil to go with it.

After the conversion I did on the prem ill definitely go for the blue motor. huge improvement! Currently on the lookout!

Does anyone have a diagram showing where the brake lines run and what fittings I need. I'm contemplating re doing the brake lines myself after the success on the prem. Any advice on kits and equipment would be much appreciated!

I found this on fastlane. where do the three lines go?
    I'm also asuming that there is a hard line that runs across the front of the car or is it set up that there are 2 for the front and one for the back?
    Last edited by mook; 16-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Thread Information