Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay cars without tags

Ebay cars without tags

WTF are these cars that are advertised on ebay without any ID cars? Like what happened to them and WTF are you supposed to do with the shells other than crush them?

Mauser

Sandman Guru
    Use them to repair rusty cars. From sections to a whole body in some circumstances.

Banned
    Have to agree Mauser, just says dodgy to me. Tags missing = something wrong. Why else take them off?

here's a good example

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Now WTF... do you find a rusty shell and put it's tags on this???

Has this been stolen and the tags and rego plates removed???

If Ebay complain if you sell tags openly then why allow this as well?

Mauser

Sandman Guru
    I can't see the issue with the Torana. It may well have been stolen and recovered and had the tags removed in the process. It can still be registered no problem as it has a chassis number, so why would Ebay stop the sale of it?. I have bought cars before in the past to get ID plates for my collection, and sold the car or wrecked them out. The last one I did it to was an LH SLR 5000. I currently have my eyes on a HJ GTS coupe to do the same thing to.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I can't see the issue with the Torana. It may well have been stolen and recovered and had the tags removed in the process. It can still be registered no problem as it has a chassis number, so why would Ebay stop the sale of it?. I have bought cars before in the past to get ID plates for my collection, and sold the car or wrecked them out. The last one I did it to was an LH SLR 5000. I currently have my eyes on a HJ GTS coupe to do the same thing to.
    mmmmm HJ Coupe ... i want, i want, i want
    don't take the plates off Restore it or let me buy it... Hj coupe is my favorite..
    I have even bought "75GTS" number plates for when i find one ...
    HJ XX7- L31-M21 sandman windowless
    HZ XX7- L31-M41 sandman ute
    1955 Chevy Belair
    1972 Hq Statesman original Wedgwood with black vinyl roof
    1956/9 Custom Pro street Pickup .. Blown 407 suicide doors tilt front ..
    1956 210 sedan
    1982 Wb windowless Panelvan ..
    1970 Ht Kingswood original 186

Sandman Guru
    The one I know of is too far gone to restore. If it was a good one i'd keep it myself as apart from HK GTS, HJ GTS coupe is my favourite too. Would be a good wrecker as it has good glass, stainless etc. If I get it i'll just pull the tags and send it to ozbox to wreck.

Banned
    Fair enough if your collecting the tags but I just get a feeling of frustration after having my ute stolen and the fact that they ripped the tags off and left them in the street that these cars have all had the same thing done to them. I wish they had attached the tags in a way that they were not removable without wrecking them to deter rebirthing.

Sandman Guru
    They started doing that in VN. I got some tags off a VQ V8 recently that was about to be crushed. The rivets are stainless steel and spin when you try to drill them, and melt the alloy so the tag whilst not destroyed has obviously been off. Even if a car is stolen and had it's tags removed, the identity of the car remains with the chassis number. I've seen plenty of HQ-WB tonners over the years happily registered with the chassis number but no tags attached. Normally they are cars blokes have built up from a rolling chassis with a donor cab. I've even seen them with brand new rails (you could buy new WB rails up until around 1990) and a donor cab, in this case a Police chassis number was issued.

The other thing people do is pull the tags off during a resto to prevent them being stolen. The unfinished project then gets passed through a few owners and somewhere along the line the tags get lost. That was the case with my HQ coupe and I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it if it had the tags.

Thread Information