Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HQ Panelvan

Post HQ Panelvan

Picked up this HQ van in Geelong (van not the girl... hee hee) thats been for sale for a while. The front doesnt have the origional guards (both are different colours on the inside), the dash is from a kingswood (been changed anyway), the gearbox is now a Turbo 350. It does have the centre console mounts on the floor but has sexy peice of wood around the auto gearshift with the selections written on it.

On the good side it runs well (ok with 6 months rego). He significantly dropped the price and I drove it home 9 hours without it using a single drop of oil or water. It has rust in the rear quarters and the cowl but the turrent is fine and the rest not too bad.

Vin Number - 8M70TDL2?????Q Adelaide Built
    Seating Cap - 2 ok
    Chassis Number - matches plates
    Built 5/74 right time.. 74 body without side vents
    Model No - HQ80270 8cyl Belmont Panelvan
    Body No - 110105-A
    Trim No - 1880-39B Chestnut, Buckets seats - have seen an HQ XX7 plate with this int.
    Paint No - 567-15822 Cognac Metallic 15822 - 1880 BL or XY5 - not available on Belmonts
    Eng L31 308
    Trans M21 Manual
    Axle GV2 3.36:1 Salisbury
    Eng No - QTxxxxxx

Now comes the fun bit... lol

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 21-12-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Well done mauser. Congrats on getting a rare 'real' sandman. I had a long hard look at that one on car sales over the past few months, and if it wasn't for my wedding and the 'HJ' I have in the shed I was going to buy it.

Really happy someone with a passion for Sandman's bought it and plans on restoring it. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and end result.

'cool hood ornament' :lol:

haha yep... both old girls arnt too bad...

Mauser

im starting to get in the market.. just would like to know how you went finding the vehicle as in was it in the trading post etc.. and if you wouldnt mind.. how much you paid?

Sandman Guru
    I think it was you looking for one in a post a while back, I pointed that one out to you as a steal.

ha ha started collecting bits...

picked up this for $19 from ebay close to home. Has the taillight section for TwoTees HZ Sandman and the powersteering box and other bits for me. Getting the panelbeater to draw sections over it and Ill cut it up for rust repair.

found this old Kingswood on a friends farm with a good cowl section to fix the vans rusty bit....

Mauser

~WOW~

What an awesome HQ. I was originally looking for a HQ but stumbled upon a one owner genuine HJ Sandman at a steal and couldn't let it go. Great find! I am really looking forward to seeing the stages of this build. Please keep us posted.

hmm just went through my thread and didnt see your post.. well atm i dont have a cash so im only looking and wishing haha.. I reckon ill save up about 5-6k and then buy one

Great find, enjoy your resto...it is a very rewarding hobbie and you have a lot of original bits to find to put back into her if that is the way you are going....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    ha ha started collecting bits...

picked up this for $19 from ebay close to home. Has the taillight section for TwoTees HZ Sandman and the powersteering box and other bits for me. Getting the panelbeater to draw sections over it and Ill cut it up for rust repair.

found this old Kingswood on a friends farm with a good cowl section to fix the vans rusty bit....

Mauser
    Lower quarters are no good for your van as HJ-HZ wagon and sedan are different quarters to all HQ and HJ-HZ van, ute, coupe and statesman

Thread Information