Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamish's Hz sandman

Wink Hamish's Hz sandman

Hey guys
    just abit of a quick introduction
    my names hamish 23,from western australia down in the south west,after a few monthes ago im now a proud owner of a HZ sandman
    i recently had a HQ panel van i was doing up,but fell in love with the sandman and decided to use the hq for parts instead.
    Over the past few monthes most of the work has been carried out through a local workshop,trying to get ready for the pits to licence etc
    so i can legaly drive it on the road!
    as it is in my mates workshop im free to come and work on it as i pleased,as im not qualified in any automotive tech,did a few things myself to save money and for the experience.
    bit of background history,the car had been sitting in storage for 18 monthes orignaly from the eastern states,had and still has alot of rust,was running on 5 cylinders when i purchased it,interior was bit of an obortion,recently saw it forsale at a car show and new it had to be mine!
    i have heaps of pics but itl take to long to upload so il just put a few up and post more as more work is carried out
    this is before i purchased it

started off getting a new custom 2.5 inch exhaust with 2 supercats mufflers

all new suspension was carried out,includeing new monroe shocks,nothlane bushes,whiteline sway bars and linkages,new ball joints and wheel beerings
    springs and back leafsprings were still in good nick so left as is.

front disk brakes includeing new rotors and pads
    the 253 motor had already a rochester carby ,4 barrel manifold and extractors
    replaced the leads with top gun blue leads and plugs with nkg plugs,oil change,replaced a few hoses etc
    heads were replaced with recon heads

interior was loose and old with age,tidied up the front and bolted down the seats and center console which were loose neatened up some of the loose wireing.

as for the back ,carpet was torn and old so replaced with new and tidyed up side panels and archway,till i can get new panels retrimed
    as for exterior replaced the front cracked grill,buffed up the old centerline rims,polished up the front and back bumper and fixed where they were loose

recently has just gone over the pits so i can get a list of what else needs to be done,il post it up soon,maybe some of you could help me out?
    its due for the panel beaters in january and will get it painted as soon as its out.
    atm just trying to get everything else done so i dont have to worry about anything else when its out of the panel beaters,will be an on going project this year,2 monthes of work so far,i just want it done and on the road!hopefully not long now,itl be good to drive a respected car and have a new car for car shows,events etc
    look forward to talking to some of you soon,il get a copy of the inspection list and post it up,as i need abit of help

Looks great you have done a nice job on the interior tidy up, look forward to seeing the van painted....is it Madeira Red? We are about to embark on the interior of our yellow van, it had the windscreen put back in today, Wed the auto electricians are checking all the wiring, then we can put the dash back in...Seats and door trims still being recovered, so should be on the road in mid Jan....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Sandman Guru
    Hamish

I really would like to see more details about that van, ie VIN and ADR plate details. It is one of the earliest HZ I have seen so far. It is obviously 9/77 build, if it is Sydney or Adelaide build it will be the earliest HZ Sandman recorded so far from either of those plants. If it is Melbourne built I have 3 x earlier examples, all of which have double digit chassis numbers ie AHZ000xxM

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    Looks great you have done a nice job on the interior tidy up, look forward to seeing the van painted....is it Madeira Red? We are about to embark on the interior of our yellow van, it had the windscreen put back in today, Wed the auto electricians are checking all the wiring, then we can put the dash back in...Seats and door trims still being recovered, so should be on the road in mid Jan....
    i have no idea lol
    i think the original colour was jasmin white or something
    the colour on it atm is not a hz colour ive been told
    and thanks,il upload some more pics soon

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Hamish

I really would like to see more details about that van, ie VIN and ADR plate details. It is one of the earliest HZ I have seen so far. It is obviously 9/77 build, if it is Sydney or Adelaide build it will be the earliest HZ Sandman recorded so far from either of those plants. If it is Melbourne built I have 3 x earlier examples, all of which have double digit chassis numbers ie AHZ000xxM
    i dont know if this helps mate

i checked over a few things,aparantly original motor was 308,had queensland plates but think the car was from victoria area
    im positive was first hz sandmans that were released as i was told from the original owner
    i have the orignal manual book for it that shows where it was purchased il have a look tomorow and find some more details
    hope the pics help

Yes just looked at the paintcodes on the forum 1927 is jasmine yellow, that number was on one of our vans so checked....you could look at my thread blackouts, and that will show you what your van would have looked like in the day.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    Yes just looked at the paintcodes on the forum 1927 is jasmine yellow, that number was on one of our vans so checked....you could look at my thread blackouts, and that will show you what your van would have looked like in the day.
    thanks will have a look through,any idea where to find how many hz sandmans were made in that colour?
    i really want to paint it hz windsor blue when its done,all my mates keep saying i should get it done in the orignal colour

G'day Hamish.
    My HZ is supposed to be windsor blue, i painted mine Red which i really like the look of. At the end of the day if your not going to restore back to complete original and you like the Blue paint it that. The colour Windsor Blue looks really good on those vans.
    Cheers Chris

One thing I can advise you on. Is DONT let your mates tell YOU what YOUR car should be or should have.

Everyones car should be a representive of themself. Not of your mate. Enjoy your van. Build it how YOU want it. I costomed a HZ Sandman ute to the point it would be a hassel to change back. Its your car mate.

Windsor Blue is a great colour by the way! Buckskin trim is nice too will look great with the blue!
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Cruiser
    Byron I have this van recorded the PSN is H935940.

As Jason said it's your van, paint it the way you want. Looks like a good project

Leroy

Will look good when finished.
    What happened to the L\H front rim that you had on it in the first pic??

Also there is a Tuxedo black van over here that has been painted orange, so do whatever colour you want.
    Last edited by agr071; 20-12-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Thread Information