Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hz sandman and matching trailer

The question about the rust is misleading. I'm pretty sure the seller is pointing out the rust repairs that were made during the resto. I went and had a squiz at this van while it was being reassembled about 2 years ago. A work colleague's husband was doing the panelwork and when she found out I had a Sandman she insisted that I go check out the one that was being worked on in her shed. I believe the owner (Dean) is a spraypainter, hence the marbling (because he could). I'm kinda suprised he's selling it so soon.

Body number on 1 plate is different from the body number on the other plate.. was this just a SA problem or was it Australia wide. ( i think this was a Sydney built van.)

Question was asked if original chassis was still there ?? all i got was the chassis number , not wether it matched the plate..

great set up . just unsure if its not a "Heinz" nearly up to $20k
    HX XX7 windowless Van needing resto
    WB ute

Sandman Guru
    There is only 1 x BODY number, on the BODY plate. As it is a Pagewood HZ van it will be an Elizabeth body, with Pagewood VIN and ADR plates and Pagewood chassis number. Perfectly normal for all HJ-HZ Pagewood vans. It won't have a firewall number though since it is an Elizabeth body, if it was a ute it would have.

shouldn't the plate with "BODY No. 40105-a
    match the thin long plate "8m70thh942315-z"

this is where i assumed "matching numbers" ?

and AHZ09291S if its on the plate should match the actual chassis.?
    WB ute

Sandman Guru
    No, as above it is a Pagewood van and Pagewood used Elizabeth bodies for their HJ-HZ vans hence the BODY plate will be from Elizabeth and the VIN and ADR plates will be Pagewood. ADR plate will have the original chassis number on it, but that may have changed due to accident, cracked chassis etc.

Matching numbers has nothing to do with BODY and VIN plates having the same numbers, very few 1960's-1970's Holdens display this phenomena. Matching numbers is all about ADR, BODY, VIN plates and Chassis number plus engine number all belonging together.

Thanks for that. in years to come how will everyone remember all of that info ??

i thankyou again for the correct answers. cheers
    WB ute

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Thanks for that. in years to come how will everyone remember all of that info ??

i thankyou again for the correct answers. cheers
    they will all have purchased byrons book and will be able to figure it out in the comfort of there little room..

Sandman Guru
    Getting the time to finish it is the hassle. The "What plant built what and when" chapter is actually finished. I've been invited down to a Rare Spares discussion day in february, so I hope to get to see Leo Pruneau when i'm down there, and interview him as an opening section for the book.
    I also scanned a massive amount of release HJ information yesterday, for appendicies for the book. I'm still very light on HX and HQ info, hoping to get all that next year.

Thread Information