Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Required

Cruiser

Help Required

Hi guys just stumbles upon the site this weekend and I think its great very informative. Was hoping some of you experienced sandman/van owners could help me out with a HJ window less panel van I just purchased. It has a tired 253/trimatic in it at the moment but rolled of the factory floor with the following.
    L31/M21/GV4
    Build 05/75
    Seating 2 GVW 2200kg
    VIN 8M70TEL308688J
    Tyre Placard 9942987.

Has gts fluted guards (pressed) gts dash (white needle) gts wheel, courtesy light buttons, full console,
    buckets seats think are houndstooth/black.

Does not have full headling nor the metal teeth above tailgate for same,

The guy I bought it off did not claim it to be a sandman nor do I but I think their are some items of interest that certainly has me curious. The van was bought sight unseen except for photos and needs a bit of rust work, the authenticity of the car could determine whether I go head with the rebuild , any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, to me it seems it could fall in that grey area where its origins made not be able to be proved beyond doubt, cheers .

Hi hj308 welcome to the forums, I hope you had a good look through the website especially the detailed identification page www.mysandman.com.au/ident.html. The Sandman must have full headlining, it was one of the key features or sales points of the model. Without the headlining strip I'm pretty sure you have either a HJ with owner added GTS options, or dealer ordered GTS options.

Instead of the 253, the codes tell me you should have a 308 plus 4 speed manual. Would be great to see some photos if/when you get a chance.

Try and get the Body Plate details too, that would be handy.

Cruiser
    Thanks for reply, yeah I have a 308/m21 to put back in the van, ok will have a look for the body plate number and get back to you. So the full hood lining was on every sandman?? The van has a bit of rust needs new sills, rear beaver and front cowling, have another set of doors and I want the sun roof removed, two spots in the gutters and behind the rear wheel arches have a few spots, on a positive note the tail gates appear sound, seams are clean and appears pretty straight. Waiting for a panel beater (this week) to come over and give me an idea on rust repair bill. At this stage before I throw any money at it I could probably wreck it and get my money back and look for a genuine sandman would be prepared to pay up to 6-7000 for one that needs resto.

Your van is not a Sandman if it doesn't have the full headlining. There is a HJ Sandman on Ebay at the moment that is currently well within your budget, I'd buy this one and use the two to build one good genuine Sandman, the bits you don't need you can sell off.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110500704534
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

has it got the teeth at the rear of the hoodling where the hoodlining attaches at the rear?
    what colour is the GTS dash fascia?

Quote Originally Posted by hj308 View Post
    Does not have full headling nor the metal teeth above tailgate for same,
    Adam, as quoted from his post. :shifty:

Cruiser
    Yeah I know the van your talking about on ebay and funnily enough was just thinking this morning whether I should go for it. what do you think would be a fair price for that one, I imagine as you go up a model HX and HZ the price is going to increase a couple of grand each time, would the HZ be considered the most valueable and is this just because they were the last models, thanks.

For your info, Tyre Placard 9942987 is to suit some 6cyl HX Sedans.

Cruiser
    I imagine that with something like a glove box door on a 35 yr old car their is a chance it may have been replaced at some stage?? thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by hj308 View Post
    Yeah I know the van your talking about on ebay and funnily enough was just thinking this morning whether I should go for it. what do you think would be a fair price for that one,
    It is worth as much as you are prepared to pay for a Deauville blue windowless HJ 308 4sp Sandman van that needs a full restoration. Value often depends on how much a particular person wants a particular car, the value to that person can go up or down depending on model, colour, engine-gearbox combination and with vans whether it has windows or is windowless.

To me, the $4000 starting price is the maximum I would consider paying for that van as there is a lot of work in it to restore it...... but I also already have a Sandman van so don't desire it nearly as much as someone who doesn't have one.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information