Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Required

Cruiser
    Yeah point taken, my preference is a windowless 308 4 speed, have some serious thinking to do this afternoon have just got off the phone from talking to the owner, I think one of the problems is that after you buy something you should stop looking as their always seems to be something else coming along that catches your eye and gets you thinking, ah thats the beauty of life I guess you never know whats coming up, and why do they always seem to be in just about every other state except NSW and more often than not Victoria?? Wonder how the missus would react to two panel vans sitting in the backyard (currently in process of getting plans together for a new shed).

Cruiser

Sandman full hood lining bracket??

After the discussion last weekend on here about full length headlining I decided to climb in the back of the van and look at little closer, had only bought the van a couple of week earlier and couldnt really tell just by looking from the front cab, needing a bit of work I hadnt wanted to look to close at her until I was ready to start. I checked the photos on the HJ sandman that sold last weekend that showed the photos of the bracket and I hope the photos show want I can see in the flesh, what do you guys think?? My explanation is that the van has been molested over the years I would say during the 80's and their signs it has had some sort of insulation stuck to the roof and the guy I got it off said it had full black velour lining (nice) it must have been put in when the van was painted purple and had the 308/M21 replaced with a t-bar, 253. It has also had statesman door trims etc fitted. But back to the mysterious bracket type marks and hopefully you can see that their still a couple of teeth from the bracket stuck on their as well some small circular metal bits which look a lot like going by the photos I still have of the one that sold on ebay are where they spot welded them on.

This is an interesting one, because your van has all the gts gear and the plates are good too BUT the glove box lid has been replaced so we don't know what tyre placard the car originally had... But your photos of the evidence of removed headlining strip suggest you either have a;
    • Base model van that has been Fully GTS optioned and with full headlining.
      or a
    • Sandman

It's a tough one because you don't have books with the car to confirm or deny so you're stuck in a real grey area. Keep searching the history of the car if you can.

If someone can post close up pics of an exposed headlining strip please do so. I will try and get a shot of mine when I hit the shed next, because the screw holes are not factory, the headlining strip was welded in I believe.

Cruiser
    The screw holes you can see are from the small aluminium brackets that were put on by a previous owner, I removed them for the photos taken (have some before and after) someone has stuck insulation to the ceiling so I think when they have done this (maybe a backyard job) they couldnt workout how to utilise the headlining bracket so they have removed it altogether and made up their own brackets to attach the insulation and black velvet. From memory there was about 6-8 of these brackets with 2 screw holes in each of them and they are the screw holes you can see in the photos.

So there was definitely a headlining strip there?
    It's a real shame the headlining strip has been removed, a real shame, if only you had the original glove box and tyre placard.

Personally it seems strange that someone back in 1975 would order a base model van and order up and pay for all the extra gts options, rather than just order a Sandman.

Cruiser
    I agree Blocker was just thinking the same to myself wondering what the cost difference would have been to order a base model with all the option rarther than a straight out sandman, you would think that it would have been quite possible for it to work out cheaper with a sandman. It just doesnt seem to make sense for a guy to walk in and order a 308, 4 speed V8 with with all the extras and not be tempted to go for the standard sandman. Not sure if you can tell by the photos by there still some of the actual teeth from the bracket still attached and also some of the spot weld marks. I found a picture last night I think it was the Monaroparts wwebsite or similair?? and it had a photo of the bracket attached and fully exposed. I am convinced that the remains are in fact a hood lining bracket but that doesnt prove it is the real deal obviously. I am presently trying to back track through the previous owners but wont hold to much hope on that one.

Take a photo of the side where the hoodlining would attach, there is a wider metal strip welded along these for attaching the pinchweld.... there should also be holes visible where the hood bows attached.

There were plenty of V8 4sp bucket seat with full headlining vans ordered for tradesman and as other work vehicles..... a lot of companies or tradies wanted V8 power and better comfort without the lairy GTS fluted guards, rally sports wheels and stripes.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Cruiser
    [IMG][/IMG]

Is this the bracket your talking about?? There are holes as you described and in some of them are the plastic lugs you can see in this photo.

That's it. The holes with plastic plugs are for the hood bows to clip into and the hoodlining folds around the bottom of the metal strip with pinch weld clamping over it to hold it in place.

You will need to find an original rear hoodlining strip for above the tailgate or fabricate a new one to weld back on so you can install a new hoodlining.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Is there any other way to determine one way or another (with the info at hand) whether this is a Sandman or not? Would knowing the chasis number be of any help in putting the clues together?

Thread Information